Christmas in August! Really????

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

whitesnake

Registered Shopper
Just watching the repeat of last night's Christmas in August launch. I cannot believe they are dragging out the same old tat. The TSV, those awful gift bags seems to get churned out year after year. Then we have lights which are apparently ' new today on QVC' but are things we have all seen before, just a slightly updated model. I won't mention what they class as toys for the grandkids as these items always get my blood boiling. I looked on he QVC app on my tablet to see which 'Christmas' items they were going to show today. Oh good some Yankee Candles l thought, but unfortunately these were abysmal offerings with all of them being summer fragrances. Why Oh why are they not highlighting wintery or Christmas fragrances? After all l thought it was meant to be CHRISTMAS in August!!!

Back in the early days, they used to promote Christmas in July, as the only day you will see Christmas products until end of September at least.

This year Chroistmas ib July was on the 24th not 25th

desperation...the kids are still on summer holidays. even the presenters look bemused. mind you gill gauntlet will have many more hours on qvc ....lol

In their promo email today they say Xmas is a MERE four months away! I can sympathise with those who have a huge family and need to save/shop over a long period, but for me with a minuscule family it gets to be a total drag, killing off any feelings of goodwill I may have had, lol. However, Q is not alone. I believe Selfridges open their Xmas shop in Summer, indeed I saw it one year and was stopped in my tracks with shock.

Lots of shops have Christmas stock out now but I try to avoid it. I literally had to turn QVC off this morning as Gill Gauntlet (another one who's voice grates) was droning on and on about wrapping presents in the TSV bags. Yes I know I can pop a teddy in a bag and some nail polishes if I wanted to give someone one polish as a present thank you very much.

I went to buy some birthday cards yesterday and yes the shop was already full of Christmas cards !
The more materialistic and the more affluent we have become over the years, then the sooner retail outlets, websites or shopping channels begin selling for Christmas. They want our money and they want it asap.
Back in my childhood days, we got perhaps one main present such as a doll or a bike or a scooter or somesuch. plus a few bits so our parents either joined a savings club or put a few shillings in a jar each week and that was it. Nowadays parents and grandparents spend far more, buy far more and the kids want a lot more, so as far as the shops or websites are concerned, it`s supply and demand and we are all fair game. Every year there is the "must have" toy and parents will search high and low for it, pay over the odds for it and even queue overnight to buy it.
Sadly we have no-one to blame but ourselves for becoming such a consumer society and making Christmas just one big excuse to spend spend spend.

What again? I'm still recovering from the Gems TV and TJC "Christmas in July" events. Soon it will be Christmas shows 365 days of the year. It's not surprising that by the time Christmas arrives, many people are sick and tired of the whole thing. I wish we could go back to the days when Christmas preparations and buying began in November, at the very earliest. The whole meaning of Christmas has been lost, anyway, it's just about buy, buy, buy. Quite frankly, all these too-early shopping channel Christmas gift promotions do is to make me switch off, can't be doing with it. I just wonder how many people, like me, are also completely turned off by it?

Just watching the repeat of last night's Christmas in August launch. I cannot believe they are dragging out the same old tat. The TSV, those awful gift bags seems to get churned out year after year. Then we have lights which are apparently ' new today on QVC' but are things we have all seen before, just a slightly updated model. I won't mention what they class as toys for the grandkids as these items always get my blood boiling. I looked on he QVC app on my tablet to see which 'Christmas' items they were going to show today. Oh good some Yankee Candles l thought, but unfortunately these were abysmal offerings with all of them being summer fragrances. Why Oh why are they not highlighting wintery or Christmas fragrances? After all l thought it was meant to be CHRISTMAS in August!!!

It is also pretty annoying this year as we have barely had any summer!!! I still have summer tops I have not been able to wear as the weather has been so poor, and now we are encouraged to think of December! I am not a great fan of extreme heat, but for goodness sake let us have a bit of summer sun before thinking of roasting chestnuts by the fire etc.

In their promo email today they say Xmas is a MERE four months away! I can sympathise with those who have a huge family and need to save/shop over a long period, but for me with a minuscule family it gets to be a total drag, killing off any feelings of goodwill I may have had, lol. However, Q is not alone. I believe Selfridges open their Xmas shop in Summer, indeed I saw it one year and was stopped in my tracks with shock.

I imagine large Iconic London stores have Xmas tat in the summer largely for the North American tourists who seem to have a tradition of buying Xmas decorations on there travels as souvenirs to bring out to decorate their trees with travel memories. When I lived in Ottawa they had a Christmas shop open all year which I believe they have throughout North America.

In our house the Christmas tree was never put up until Christmas Eve - and as kids we were soooooooo excited ! and wow ! we knew it was Christmas when Mum brought home the tangerines, dates and mixed nuts.

I don't actually mind that QVC actually do a Christmas in July and in this case August as well. My gripe is that it is the same old rubbish churned out year in year out. So far there has been nothing innovative or different on. Disappointing!!

I love Christmas,the only time I enjoy shopping lol. The thing is I hate long dark nights so enjoy all the Christmas lights, which I get out as early in December as I can get away with.

I love Christmas,the only time I enjoy shopping lol. The thing is I hate long dark nights so enjoy all the Christmas lights, which I get out as early in December as I can get away with.

I love to get my decorations out in the first week of December! I am always needing a lift of a bit of glitter and sparkle by then. Mind you l also love to take them down on New Years Day when l have a really good clean up.

I love to get my decorations out in the first week of December! I am always needing a lift of a bit of glitter and sparkle by then. Mind you l also love to take them down on New Years Day when l have a really good clean up.

Yes New Years day and away they go.

Yes New Years day and away they go.

Mine go down the day after Boxing Day. I'm sick of the sight of them by then.
I'd take them down on Boxing Day if I could, but I'm usually out most of that day, so first thing next morning, down they come!
Scrooge, me?

I'd take them down on Boxing Day if I could, but I'm usually out most of that day, so first thing next morning, down they come!
Scrooge, me?

Haha you sound just like me Mr M. :mysmilie_12:

Haha you sound just like me Mr M. :mysmilie_12:

Ha Ha.
To me they're Christmas decorations, and once the actual day has passed, I want them gone. I don't feel Christmassy once the day has finished.
All we've got to look forward to is dark mornings, dark nights & crap weather.
Summer seems like a lifetime away.
At least in November & December we've got the day to look forward to.
I know I sound miserable and if I had children I'd probably keep them up till New Year, but they get on my nerves, so down they come.

Mazza, I know, my local Asda is chock-full of rails of summer clothing they are trying to shift, so looks like summer's over as far as retail trade are concerned! I hate all this hurrying the months along, it seems to me like wishing your life away and, as you say, we've had a pretty crappy summer so far, apart from a few weeks, so to see Santa Claus and Christmas trees staring at you from the TV screen gives me the right hump! I'd have a really good giggle if it turned boiling hot just as their ruddy "Christmas in August" events were kicking off, and everyone was out and about or in the garden! May their baubles shrivel, is what I say....(Merry Christmas!)

It is also pretty annoying this year as we have barely had any summer!!! I still have summer tops I have not been able to wear as the weather has been so poor, and now we are encouraged to think of December! I am not a great fan of extreme heat, but for goodness sake let us have a bit of summer sun before thinking of roasting chestnuts by the fire etc.

A man after my own heart, Mr M. I just want them gone once the event is over.

Scrooge, me?

Latest posts

Back