Emma Hardie

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Perhaps the moringa balm will help calm Tanya's skin , she looked like a beetroot after the Decleor hour again!!

To be fair, Tanya suffers from rosacea (which does make you wonder why on earth she does skincare shows unlike Deborah-Ann who does Bare Minerals), so it's probably inevitable that's she's going to look more pinky than perky after a show... and Fiona is quite vigorous with her massage, as is Ali Young when she get her mits on the models on BNI.

To be fair, Tanya suffers from rosacea (which does make you wonder why on earth she does skincare shows unlike Deborah-Ann who does Bare Minerals), so it's probably inevitable that's she's going to look more pinky than perky after a show... and Fiona is quite vigorous with her massage, as is Ali Young when she get her mits on the models on BNI.

The thing is Fiona blamed tanya's skin on her once using another skincare brand on air ( alpha h i think) but that was several years ago and Decleor still hasnt managed to calm her skin down. Im surprised to that shes used for so many shows.

The thing is Fiona blamed tanya's skin on her once using another skincare brand on air ( alpha h i think) but that was several years ago and Decleor still hasnt managed to calm her skin down. Im surprised to that shes used for so many shows.

I really hate it when beauty professionals slag off other beauty professionals work or products. I think if what you're selling doesn't stand up on its own, don't prop it up by denigrating the competition.

It's a variation of "a bad workman blames his tools", and it doesn't reflect well on the person saying it.

I remember way back at the first Beauty Bash, someone from ST went. Heard Tanya mention some brand on QVC upset her skin, now it was a French brand. Most of us thought it was Gatineau.

I have only ever seen Tanya on QVC modelling beauty or fashion, I know we spot the others doing all sorts of ads. So perhaps this is Tanya's only bread and butter work. But to be honest if she has Rosacea, she should have been to her doctor long ago and got something. Also by now know what will cause a flare up and upset her skin, then stay away from those brand shows.

I remember way back at the first Beauty Bash, someone from ST went. Heard Tanya mention some brand on QVC upset her skin, now it was a French brand. Most of us thought it was Gatineau.

I have only ever seen Tanya on QVC modelling beauty or fashion, I know we spot the others doing all sorts of ads. So perhaps this is Tanya's only bread and butter work. But to be honest if she has Rosacea, she should have been to her doctor long ago and got something. Also by now know what will cause a flare up and upset her skin, then stay away from those brand shows.

You could be right about that - I don't know what other stuff she does - maybe away from the public eye?

I think the problem with doing a lot of these shows with skincare is that probably some products for most brands are favourable for her skin, but they still slap the stuff on her that will aggravate it - peels, scrubs, ranges for oily skin and cleansers. If they stuck to the stuff that she most likely uses in real life, it would be a problem as it won't be the best sellers, so not as keenly priced. I've heard her and Fiona talking, and the rose d'orient aromessence is one of her products as is aromessence solaire - both of which allegedly help her rosacea. They are not exactly front and centre of the Decleor range on QVC!

The QVC advice about cleansing is completely contradictory even within the space of a few hours. First we have the "just allow the gentle 'dry' oil to soak in" school with no rubbing allowed then the next presentation will be extoling the virtues of brillo padding the skin with a muslin cloth or salt scrub. All a load of hogwash. Anyone subjecting themselves to the amount of gunk Tanya did yesterday is bound to look like a belisha beacon.

The QVC advice about cleansing is completely contradictory even within the space of a few hours. First we have the "just allow the gentle 'dry' oil to soak in" school with no rubbing allowed then the next presentation will be extoling the virtues of brillo padding the skin with a muslin cloth or salt scrub. All a load of hogwash. Anyone subjecting themselves to the amount of gunk Tanya did yesterday is bound to look like a belisha beacon.

I know you posted this a few weeks ago but just wanted to say this is such a bugbear of mine. I like Clarins products but some of the instructions are just too precious. The one that annoys me the most is for the cleansing milk where it says to dispense the product into your hands and then "place hands flat, without pressing, over the entire face and then lift briskly away to create a suction effect ... Repeat this movement five or six times, then rinse skin thoroughly with tepid water". Apparently this "draws out and lifts make-up and grime as gently as possible". I asked a girl at the Clarins counter once about this, saying if the skin is so delicate, how come salons do massages and use scrubs and cloths. She didn't respond, just went on to talk about another product. I don't buy it now anyway; if you use a cotton pad and toner afterwards, it comes away brown from the makeup the "remover" has not removed because you've been told to hardly touch your face. There are far more effective cleansers. Speaking of which, I really must try the Emma Hardie stuff.

I know you posted this a few weeks ago but just wanted to say this is such a bugbear of mine. I like Clarins products but some of the instructions are just too precious. The one that annoys me the most is for the cleansing milk where it says to dispense the product into your hands and then "place hands flat, without pressing, over the entire face and then lift briskly away to create a suction effect ... Repeat this movement five or six times, then rinse skin thoroughly with tepid water". Apparently this "draws out and lifts make-up and grime as gently as possible". I asked a girl at the Clarins counter once about this, saying if the skin is so delicate, how come salons do massages and use scrubs and cloths. She didn't respond, just went on to talk about another product. I don't buy it now anyway; if you use a cotton pad and toner afterwards, it comes away brown from the makeup the "remover" has not removed because you've been told to hardly touch your face. There are far more effective cleansers. Speaking of which, I really must try the Emma Hardie stuff.

I have a variety of cleansers, including Clarins. I totally ignore the "instructions", which I agree are often "precious" nonsense! I massage them in, and I use a flannel and warm water to remove every single one of them, then tone, usually with Liz Earle Instant Boost Skin Tonic. I've never had a problem with not getting makeup off or having any residue... And I never use cotton wool pads for either cleansing or toning. My only exception to washing off the cleanser is when I've got very little time, and I use the micellar water (the B. Pure one from Superdrug) - that I put on cotton wool pads and swipe all over face, neck and decolletage.

I go for enough facials to know that while they use the dreaded tissue to pat off the residue of the toner, they don't apply the toner on cotton wool pads, so neither do I (it's a waste of money going into the cotton wool pad, not onto your face).

Emma Hardie and Elemis cleansing balms are my favourite though - very effective, great for massage, smell divine and leave my skin silky soft. I know not everyone can, but I use them round my eyes as well with no ill-effects.

I have a variety of cleansers, including Clarins. I totally ignore the "instructions", which I agree are often "precious" nonsense! I massage them in, and I use a flannel and warm water to remove every single one of them, then tone, usually with Liz Earle Instant Boost Skin Tonic. I've never had a problem with not getting makeup off or having any residue... And I never use cotton wool pads for either cleansing or toning. My only exception to washing off the cleanser is when I've got very little time, and I use the micellar water (the B. Pure one from Superdrug) - that I put on cotton wool pads and swipe all over face, neck and decolletage.

I go for enough facials to know that while they use the dreaded tissue to pat off the residue of the toner, they don't apply the toner on cotton wool pads, so neither do I (it's a waste of money going into the cotton wool pad, not onto your face).

Emma Hardie and Elemis cleansing balms are my favourite though - very effective, great for massage, smell divine and leave my skin silky soft. I know not everyone can, but I use them round my eyes as well with no ill-effects.

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you/beauticians apply toner without a cotton wool ball or pad thing? Do you pour a little onto your hand and pat it on?

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you/beauticians apply toner without a cotton wool ball or pad thing? Do you pour a little onto your hand and pat it on?

Yes - pour a very small amount into my cupped palm, then rub hands together then smooth across my skin. Or if you have spray toner (instant boost comes in a spray, as do the elemis toners) you can squoosh a couple of sprays across your face then smooth it across so it goes everywhere. If you use a thicker toner (like decleor's youth lotion, or clarins extra comforting) it's even easier to do with the bare hands.

Personally, I don't blot any residue off, as smoothing it on with my hands means I can feel where I need more, but if I'd over-applied, I'd probably use a face towel to blot off the residue.

I use facial oils, and I find they go on much better over a slightly moister, toned skin than if I apply straight after cleansing.

Last edited:
I think I'm being far too rigorous with my cotton wool pads!
Because I'm not very well and have no energy, I quite often resort to micellar water (garnier one) and use cotton wool pads to wipe over my face. But I do tend to rub a bit too much because I want to get every bit of grime from my face (which is a surprising amount given I can't leave the house ATM and don't wear make up!!) until this week when I've come out in a full-blown rash! Proper white head type spots all over but especially where I press too hard around the nose etc. Silly billy!

Incidentally if you like a balm/oil type cleanser but you find cleanse and polish or similar a little bit too rough - especially combined with a muslin - I would really recommend the Body Shop Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter.. It's usually £12 for 90ml tin but I only get when 40% off so it's a bargain! It's so smooth and rich and perfect for my skin :)

Oh and I use it with an SBC spammy cloth. £3.50 on offer at Beauty Naturals. They're great - no more smelly flannels! They dry hard so don't harbour nasties!

I use flannels, and mine aren't nasty and smelly, I hope! I have a stash of them - tend to buy in the sales... picked up 6 for £1 each in John Lewis today. Use one per day - and dry them out on my heated towel rail between uses before they go in the wash.

Am sure yours don't smell or nasty..! Mine aren't nasty - they're posh, fluffy ones from White Company which I got given as a gift! - but don't have the energy or want to wash a flannel every day let alone tumble dry them etc.
I would use mine (maybe too thick or something?) once a day and by the second day I could smell something despite rinsing them in hot water and putting on radiator. So the shammies work a a treat for me and they're so smooth!

I use flannels, and mine aren't nasty and smelly, I hope! I have a stash of them - tend to buy in the sales... picked up 6 for £1 each in John Lewis today. Use one per day - and dry them out on my heated towel rail between uses before they go in the wash.

I also use flannels made from cotton, but besides that, I alternate with those flannels which are made from microfiber and I buy them from a German coffee company when they are on sale there (3 for 3€, originally 5€, the price is always the same). The microfiber flannels don't peel the skin, they are very soft and fluffy and dry very quickly.

Incidentally if you like a balm/oil type cleanser but you find cleanse and polish or similar a little bit too rough - especially combined with a muslin - I would really recommend the Body Shop Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter.. It's usually £12 for 90ml tin but I only get when 40% off so it's a bargain! It's so smooth and rich and perfect for my skin :)

Botanics also have a Cleansing balm which is very nice I think. Did you try that?

I use Bamboon flannels, they are softest you can get. Don't actually use them for the face, I have a rather large collection of Eve Lom muslin cloths. Her's always large and heavy quality that LE, not all dazzling white now but washed in the machine and clean.

Toner Elemis I know you just spray a fine mist on the fact and I leave.

Botanics also have a Cleansing balm which is very nice I think. Did you try that?

No I haven't tried that one I'm afraid. I've tried quite a few of own-brand ones (including lower-end ones such as Superdrug etc). I really started to like one by Virgin Vie called something like Seventh Heaven but then of course they stopped existing so I found mega cheaply on amazon for while ;)

Botanics is also such a brand, from Boots.:) I would love to try the Superdrug Cleanser which is supposed to be a copy from Cleanse & Polish, but as I don't live in the UK, I'll have to wait until next time I'll be there for holidays.

No.7 have a balm cleanser, too, but I haven't tried it yet.

Latest posts

Back