I am done with Yankee jars..

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Lemonsqueezy

Nice 'n Easy...
I am a Yankee fan and trim the wick and do all that is recommended.If I see smoking or the flame is blowing I put it out and I don't burn them for hours and hours.

Today we started to decorate our lounge and hubby and I were stunned at how dirty grey the ceiling was.Wiped it with a clean cloth and the stuff that came off was unbelievable,so that's it now only tarts from now on :confused:

Michaela always says that Yankee don't smoke....I beg to differ!!

I am a Yankee fan and trim the wick and do all that is recommended.If I see smoking or the flame is blowing I put it out and I don't burn them for hours and hours.

Today we started to decorate our lounge and hubby and I were stunned at how dirty grey the ceiling was.Wiped it with a clean cloth and the stuff that came off was unbelievable,so that's it now only tarts from now on :confused:

Michaela always says that Yankee don't smoke....I beg to differ!!

I don't know if you saw my thread re candles in The Drop Lemonsqueezy but if not may I suggest that you take a peek..?

And to be fair - and not insinuating you're a grotbag here at all! - day to day life gives off a fair old amount of grime. It'd more'n likely be crummy to a certain extent even if you'd not been burning candles. It can't help, obvioso - but it'ls doubtful its the sole reason.
Mr AMN is a painter & decorator of 30 years standing and he says 'tis so.
:emo:

Last edited:
Slightly off topic as per usual I had a sneaky run round the Yankee Candle store between meetings today. Some lovely new ones. An almond one, something like kitchen spice?? and vanilla satin. I didn't buy any though as I have two baby powder candles in stock and I'm mid way through a sweet pea with a few votives and tea lights about the place.

But at the minute I am burning a candle from ESPA that was a birthday pressie and it's gorgeous. Smells like an expensive spa treatment ... funny that! I wouldn't like to hazard a guess at how much it cost but it fills the whole house with it's slightly spicy, warm scent.

And to be fair - and not insinuating you're a grotbag here at all! - day to day life gives off a fair old amount of grime. It'd more'n likely be crummy to a certain extent even if you'd not been burning candles. It can't help, obvioso - but it'ls doubtful its the sole reason.
Mr AMN is a painter & decorator of 30 years standing and he says 'tis so.
:emo:

Yes,I agree that day to day living gives of a certain amount of dirt, but there was most definitely a large area that was due to the candles as it was directly above the area where I use them.... so no more for me!!!

I might be wrong, but I'm thinking back to my science classes at school (yes another life, gawd knows how long ago) and I'm remembering bunsen burners. The yellow flame was the sooty flame...and candles burn with a yellow flame so they must give off soot. It was the blue bunsen flame that was the hot one that didn't burn a sooty flame....and you could see the difference on the bottom of the glass flasks that we used to burn.

Yes, I'm wittering....I know!

I might be wrong, but I'm thinking back to my science classes at school (yes another life, gawd knows how long ago) and I'm remembering bunsen burners. The yellow flame was the sooty flame...and candles burn with a yellow flame so they must give off soot. It was the blue bunsen flame that was the hot one that didn't burn a sooty flame....and you could see the difference on the bottom of the glass flasks that we used to burn.

Yes, I'm wittering....I know!

Oh the memories Lottie.......time for bed do you think?! :wink:

i foolishly fell for that last TSV with the swirls - i thought i might as well seeing as the whole concept was mine anyway :O)

theyre rubbish. smoke like mad and you have to be a foot away to smell anything.

i'm going back to incense sticks.

i foolishly fell for that last TSV with the swirls - i thought i might as well seeing as the whole concept was mine anyway :O)

theyre rubbish. smoke like mad and you have to be a foot away to smell anything.

Sounds like you were pretty incensed with Yankee then BB.................:wink:

i love mine....and they're burning just fine. :tongue: sorry

I had the same problem and no amount of wiping took the soot off :confused: So now have an electric tart burner, well 2 actually :nod: and split 1 tart in half...don't forget you can also cut up the votives, just take the wick out, they are the same wax.

daydreamer

I used to burn my candles on my dresser in my kitchen.It used to be black where the candles were.I now try and burn mine in more *open* spaces,but I'm sure that has little effect.

TBH,I'm right off YC.I've felt most of what I've bought lately are poor quality with little smell.Its really put me off parting with my money.I didn't go for the recent TSV as the P&P was so high - rather pleased I didn't now.In fact all the ones that don't smell,that I have,have been purchased from QVC.

I used to burn my candles on my dresser in my kitchen.It used to be black where the candles were.I now try and burn mine in more *open* spaces,but I'm sure that has little effect.

TBH,I'm right off YC.I've felt most of what I've bought lately are poor quality with little smell.Its really put me off parting with my money.I didn't go for the recent TSV as the P&P was so high - rather pleased I didn't now.In fact all the ones that don't smell,that I have,have been purchased from QVC.

Same here, so I started buying soy candles and found them better, even the cheapie ones...but having read of the dangers recently I shan't be buying any more anyway.

There was a report in one of the weekend papers that a study had been made, which discovered that perfumed candles give off as much toxicity as car fumes in an enclosed space !!!!!!! and wondered what qvc would think to that gem of information ! I think it refered to the ones that were petroleum based. Not being too much of a candle fan, but are Yankee petroleum based ???

I'm enjoying my kringle candles (pretty jar shape) but they tunnel like a b!tch

I read an articl a couple of years ago about the pollution candles cause in the home so i threw all mine in the bin and just bought some plain wax candles for emergences only.

Yes they do burn with a horrible black soot...I trim my wick regularly (aahem), and the jar gets very black and sooty, I am always having to wipe it down. I've gone right off Yankee to be honest...bored with the same old smells.

Latest posts

Back