L'Occitane 14/7/09

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Boris Bear

Registered Shopper
Did anyone else watch the L'Occitane show with Alexis and Jill Franks?

Alexis said thet when she tells people that she works for L'Occitane they often don't recognise the company name as a lot of people don't know how to pronounce it. This came over to me as her being a bit superior!

The conversation also covered bathrooms with Jill and Alexis both saying their husbands had their own bathrooms.That's fair enough but the way they were talking really bugged me. They just totally took it for granted, there was no impression that they thought they were fortunate to be able to have a bathroom each. I think if either of them had said "Oh I'm really lucky that I have my own bathroom" then it wouldn't have irritated me.

I'm not loaded or anything but I do have some money to spend on luxuries and I do know that compared to some people I am quite lucky. I just wish that some of the presenters would consider that not everyone has as much as them and be a bit more sensitive rather than just talking about the things they have.

Moan over!

I saw that bit of the show BB (though not all of it). It doesn't take much for JF to irritate me at the best of times. What I did find condescending was the way Alexis said about working for L'Occitane and no-one had heard of it, so she spelt it out and they said 'Oh you mean Lockeytayne' (not sure how best to spell it to get the pronunciation right). Quite a normal assumption if you don't know the name.

Alexis said thet when she tells people that she works for L'Occitane they often don't recognise the company name as a lot of people don't know how to pronounce it. This came over to me as her being a bit superior!

That's just stupid & pretentious! It's got an 'l' at the front, two 'c's' making it obvious how that bit should sound, how many ways of pronouncing it (even reading it in the American 'say what you see' way!) can there possibly be? :rolleyes:
(The only thing you could get wrong is the ending, if unsure whether it was pronounced 'tan' or 'tane'!)

I can't help thinking that Alexis would'nt work for a company whose name you could pronounce withoutout worrying that you had said it wrong. However the products all work on everyone posh or common as far as I can tell, which might bother her and Jill Franks a bit. Manners maketh man and woman, not having separate bathrooms etc.

I watched it for about 10 seconds and then turned over when I saw that is was Jill Franks :ninja:

Topaz - 'Lockeytayne'! lol
I see what you mean, at least we both agree it was a dumb comment though! :giggle:

What a cheek coming from Alexthith though, who lithpths through every sentence & spent the entire ruddy show coughing & spluttering, so doubly couldn't understand what she was wittering on about! :tongue2:

i caught a glimpse of this show and was very annoyed by alexis snobby remark of loooyksitane. Who does she thinks she is. Most of the products have a french name, and I can tell you her pronounciation of french words is not always correct. I have never liked her, she is so full of herself.

She always sounds like she has wads of cotton wool in her mouth to me, very irritating. I've never liked her as she just comes across as a snooty cow. It also annoys me that they make out that no one had heard of L'occitane before QVC, wrong! I've been using the brand for years and have never had any difficulty getting hold of it. I do wish they were pulled up about this crap they spout, same with the 'only place in the UK stocking Smashbox' etc. Totally ludicrous when Jayne at JBD stocks a much wider and more up to date range of the products.

She always sounds like she has wads of cotton wool in her mouth to me, very irritating. I've never liked her as she just comes across as a snooty cow.

So true.I remember on the old forum before it crashed,someone commenting that Alexis always sounds like she had a 'gob of spit in their mouth'.I too felt that snooty and Iggy Pop (or Dave Hill from Slade,the comparison kills me every time :giggle:) were both bigging up their lifestyle.

saw a bit of it, but wasnt worth watching IMO

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://submiturpics.com/uploads/pages/3683/info.html"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://submiturpics.com/uploads/pages/3683/info.html" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

well done to them to be able to afford seperate bathrooms; the founder of the co still lives in the same village/house as 30+ years ago.

well done to them to be able to afford seperate bathrooms; the founder of the co still lives in the same village/house as 30+ years ago.

More bathrooms = more room for DDs to spread their stuff about in & make a mess of, therefore = more to clean.....for me!
Only have one bathroom now.....love it! lol

I always get a bit peed off when the presenters say you could put this or that in your guest bedroom or bathroom, or I have this in said rooms. Some people need to think before they open their mouths as most of us are lucky to have a roof over our heads these days let alone blooming guest accommodation.

I do think alexis is lovely looking, but as everyone has said her attitude can come across as being a bit superior and snobby. The mark of a good presenter is not to alienate customers, but to include and make them feel welcome and not as if they're intruding into an exclusive club.

I do think alexis is lovely looking, but as everyone has said her attitude can come across as being a bit superior and snobby. The mark of a good presenter is not to alienate customers, but to include and make them feel welcome and not as if they're intruding into an exclusive club.

Yes I think that alienated is how they make you feel.

I also think that the in-jokes between certain presenters and guests make you feel like you are intruding.

I once met Alexis at a customer event and she was the most stuck up C.. ever she just sat there and couldnt be bothered to even raise a smile whereas Helen Harvey from nai ls inc was fantastic really friendly just as she is on qvc what you see is what you get.

Did she manage to drop in that she is a Director of the company? Just in case we should confuse her with a glorified sales assistant :giggle: Like La Roberts, she is another one prone to flicking her mane.

cant be doing with anyone who thinks that they are better then anyone else by how big their homes are or how many bathrooms they have. we are all the same its the person that counts!

the thing is that this posh image they are trying to pass to the audience is totally contrary to what the l'occitane brand is all about. the products may be all over the world now, but the co mentality is nothing like a multinational with all those arrogant 'hot-shots' in suits. there is a single factory in provence (down the road from the founder's house) that manufactures and ships products all over the world. agriculture is part of their life (highly developed in the area to serve the industry among other things) the latter being wonderful but simple. they do not know or give a t*** about posh.
i do not care enough to have an opinion about Alexis' personna/ personality, but i have to say that is she is the absolutely wrong person to represent l'occitane. for all the years she's been with them she comes across as clueless as to what the co is all about.

Latest posts

Back