New Year, New You - after the event...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

What you said about it being a nice day because of the friendliness ansd enthusiasm of the presenters was the same at the craft event. The suppliers were generous and friendly and the presenters (Jules and Anthony) went out of their way to chat and joke and keep the party going on a sweltering hot summers day (remember those?) They were also supported by a team of QVC "helpers" for whom nothing was too much trouble....if you get invited GO (on second thoughts, don't, send your invite to me :) )

I said last week that I went to a beauty day 5 years ago ( courtesy of a high spending friend!) and it sounds as though they have toned it down quite a bit. As well as gifts from the stands, we were given a bag of goodies to leave with-I priced that alone up and the contents were over £200 at QVC prices.(including a rather naff QVC teddy bear!) At that event I recieved a full size LE superbalm in a beautiful zipped case with mirror-she was there herself and was so much more beautiful and natural lookig than AY with glorious glowing skin and virtually no make up (AY was caked up to the nines!) She invited people to leave names and addresses and my friend and I both recived further freebies in the post-including another full size superbalm in same bag! I agree totally about the gainteau groupies-it was quite embrarassing really,he looked totally under siege and if I hadn't wanted my freebies I would have totally avoided the stand :) amazing what you will put up with for something free and there were very generous freebies given according to their assessment of your skin and your age. Then another load in the goody bag.
Was Jill Franks there? She was at the one I went to and she had about 5 layers of clothes on and STILL looked like she had come out of a concentration camp.
I would happily go again,it was a really enjoyable indulgent day,but my friend had to rein her spending in and I would never spend enough to be invited back. I am still using some of the smashbox and BE makeup which seems to go on for ever.

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a brilliant day Snuffles

What freebies did you get from LE?
Was she there herself and is she nice?

Yes - can't remember her name but it was the main American presenter. She is just as she is on TV. Very friendly, happy and smiley (take note Bobbi Brown, who were not at all rude but noses in air) and she tried a new product on me that will be on this weekend called Halo Glow. It's the same size as a Halo compact but is a warmth. I won't buy it because I don't use warmths or bronzers but it looked fine when she put it on for me!

Smashbox gave a lip palette and brush. It has about 24 shades in it (I think Jayne sells them) and I have just tried a bright fuschia pink this am. You don't need much! I shall have hours of fun playing with this!

Wonderful - her name is Nina - she reminds me of a friend of mine - well she looks at bit like her at least!
Of all the special days QVC do, that is the one I really want to go to! Oh well, maybe next year!

Jill Franks wasn't there. It was Dale and Alison Young. Liz Earle was not there but Caroline was.

The gifts from QVC were a Teddy Bear(!), a mug, pen and an emery board. All the rest were given at the stands.

I am still haunted by the rabbit caught in headlights look given by Andrew Bagley as a small band of hardened fans encircled him. I spoke to Marion, who was very pleasant but I would not have dared go near Andrew. I got the impression these women could have easily gone for the jugular if necessary!

Jill Franks wasn't there. It was Dale and Alison Young. Liz Earle was not there but Caroline was.

The gifts from QVC were a Teddy Bear(!), a mug, pen and an emery board. All the rest were given at the stands.

I am still haunted by the rabbit caught in headlights look given by Andrew Bagley as a small band of hardened fans encircled him. I spoke to Marion, who was very pleasant but I would not have dared go near Andrew. I got the impression these women could have easily gone for the jugular if necessary!

When I went to a Diamonique preview event a couple of years ago, Charlie got encircled and followed everywhere by two ladies, both old enough to have known better ... he was very polite and maintained his composure throughout, although I suspect he was tempted to run for the hills!

I would happily go again,it was a really enjoyable indulgent day,but my friend had to rein her spending in and I would never spend enough to be invited back.

Are the invites really based on the amount spent?

If so, could any of you lucky people who have been invited indicate (roughly!!) how much you spent? I would especially like to be invited to a craft event. Thanks.

I went to a craft event and overheard somebody saying that you had to spend £500 or more to get an invite. Some of the American guests there were calling it a 'loyalty' day so invitations are not sent at random as CS says , you have to earn it. I wish that we could buy the tickets, it would seem much fairer.

I went to a craft event and overheard somebody saying that you had to spend £500 or more to get an invite. Some of the American guests there were calling it a 'loyalty' day so invitations are not sent at random as CS says , you have to earn it. I wish that we could buy the tickets, it would seem much fairer.

Scary. I have tried to tot up what I've spent and I suppose it is around that much - but certainly not much over. When I stop to think nearly all of my purchases are for beauty items for me and some for presents I feel that's it - I am going to well rein in now and there'll be no invite for me next year!

Thanks for the comments regarding spend for invites. Very interesting. I sort of thought that it would be more than £500. When you think about it, that's about £40 a month. Still a lot of money though!

Are the invites really based on the amount spent?

If so, could any of you lucky people who have been invited indicate (roughly!!) how much you spent? I would especially like to be invited to a craft event. Thanks.

I had only assumed that was the case Margaret,have never been told that. All I know is that she had spent thousands and I hadn't-we joined the same time but she lives in Kent and me in Essex so I just assumed that it was her bad habit that got her the invite! TBH I spoke to loads of people there who all proffessed to spending far too much on QVC-there were some pretty miserable hubbies being dragged around her were probably thinking 'free- she spent a small fortune to get here!'
I do know someone on here who was invited to a craft event who I don't think spent that much,but she was a Tiny Team leader and I believe she complained and hassled them to get invited and eventually she was. Said she had a fab day.

I have twice asked Customer Services what you had to do to get an invite and they claimed that the invitations were completely random. I don't actually think this is true since if you watch the craft hours, it is patently obvious some of the callers get invited regularly to the craft events, as do some of the beauty addicts on here, so therefore I think it must be linked to expenditure, but that they probably also check that invitees are big QVC fans (ie haven't made lots of complaints) in case they want to film them giving testamonials.

I've never had a personal invite (though a couple of kind st.com peeps have tried to get me on their invites in the past) and although I am much more moderate these days, will confess to having spent obscene amounts on both craft and beauty some years (well into the thousands) and have only ever returned something if faulty. You would think that would secure me an invite especially as I only live about 10 miles from QVC towers. I am probably blacklisted by them for some reason - I don't think I have ever been particularly horrid to them, but with that level of expenditure, I was bound to have made a complaint or two for a dodgy item/non-delivery at some point.

Anyway, really glad (though a little envious) that those of you who went had a great time.

I know from reading QVC US they have them a few times a year. Beauty Bash is what they call the cosmetic/skincare one. They really go to town with goodie bags and freebies too.

those people who say they are regularly invited may in fact be drawing the bow a bit. There has been one small craft tester event in Liverpool and three in London. I went to the first London one. There was a lady there then gabbing off about how she had been to ALL the QVC craft events and what a dear friend Dawn was! I was there when she said hello to Dawn and it was evident that Dawn didn't know her from Adam!!
I can get some kind of spend criterion because obviously they want to be sure that the tickets go to people who will turn up and be enthusiastic ( and they film ads there) How else will they tell apart from the people who spend. Have to say that the year I went wasn't my biggest spending year by a long chalk, I am not a texter, emailer or phoner in either and I am a serial returner if I don't like what is sent.

Last edited:
My friend Emma's sister got an invite to a jewellery one, Emma asked me if I wanted to go? This was last year by the way, I said no.

Donna, when they send out these invites do they specify it's for 'you and a guest/s' or is it just for the person it's addressed to? I get the impression from your quote above that you can take someone along for company. I've never received one - yet - but I live in hope. However, I think I'd find it a bit daunting to turn up without some sort of back-up.

Donna, when they send out these invites do they specify it's for 'you and a guest/s' or is it just for the person it's addressed to? I get the impression from your quote above that you can take someone along for company. I've never received one - yet - but I live in hope. However, I think I'd find it a bit daunting to turn up without some sort of back-up.

The invite allows you to take a guest. You get a letter first of all asking if you can make the date they give (no cloice on date) and then you ring on a recorded line giving your details and also the name of your guest. Cue the first round of mickey taking from husband and son. About two weeks before the event the tickets arrive (prepare for upsurge in mickey taking) and although they have no names when you go in you have to sign a TV disclaimer form, give your name, qvc number and your guests name that they tick off a list.

They then give you a booklet with the details of who will be there - the only no show was Benefit -with a raffle ticket on it. The free raffle at the end has a prize from each exhibitor and they are very generous prizes.

There were about three male OH's looking scared and bored in equal measures. Also, as another member said, you can see them thinking 'free?????' as the £ signs chink up in their eyeballs like something from Tom and Jerry...

Most of the attendees were in the 40 to 60 age group. Andrew Bagley's hard core crew were average age 95, but if his stuff does work they could have been telegram holders. There were a dozen or so younger girls, daughters and nieces possibly granddaughters.

I did not see anyone that did not seem to be enjoying the event on both sides of the counter with the possible of the Bobbi Brown bloke who was very good when wee spoke to him, but did look bored and the Leighton Denny stall where the two girls did not seem interested in talking and look well peed off to be opposite Nails Inc who went down a storm.

Tanya was laid out on the Decleor bed - I thought someone had had a turn! - and her face - which is lined but attractively and natural looking - looked as good after being worked on all afternoon as when I first saw her.

Hope someone who has not been yet gets to go next year.

Latest posts

Back