Put the Ipad down Julia!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

At the risk of coming over as 'Grumpy Old Woman' which I'm not ( hope!!) I can't see the fascination with all this Tweeting/Facebooking etc..We (us Brits) seem to have an obsession with the Ipad.Recently on holiday I watched a family group sitting in the bar absorbed in their IPads & another poor woman sitting with her husband at Dinner who was always scrolling & tapping his Ipad.I wouldn't say what I would have done with him & his beloved Ipad!

We can probably hazard a guess

Lets not be too harsh or judgemental, as these QVC sales assistants are just are just trying to emulate real TV presenters by having their tablets with them, and instead of reading latest stock prices or national breaking news, they are reading tweets from customers. Its a bit like watching my 4 year old niece playing with her fisher price pre school computer.

I have a theory that Q bosses want all their presenters pratting around with their iPads in order to persuade their viewers without technology "know how" to get a glimpse of what it can do.
As we all know a vast proportion of their audience are people who order by phone and not via 'tinterweb.
I think by including constant references to tweets and ordering things via apps when supposedly presenting a show, the bosses are hoping to raise interest in all the cheaper tablets they sell. In a "look! you can do this too, but you don't have to spend as much" kind of way.
And, as the presenters constantly harp on about how easy they are to work, anybody getting one home and not being able to work it, will, having been persuaded how easy it all is by the presentations, feel it's summat they're doing wrong and decide to stick with it for a bit longer, thereby missing the 30 day return deadline.
But, then I'm a cynic.

I think it's more likely to be Q shifting the demographics so that more customers communicate by the Internet and then it's only a short nudge to get them to order by App or website - bye bye call centre!

How many of the supermarkets have now got us scanning and packing out own shopping without a human being in sight?

I think if their intenton is to try and get people who dont use computers to use computers, they will have an uphill struggle. My grandparents are qvc customers but they do not understand tweets, it all hold no appeal to them, if anything, the tweet thing is likely to ailienate these viewers further. They should happily accept that for some viewers, many elderly ones, ordering by phone will always be if not the only method open to then, the prefered method. QVC needs to value them and stop using technology to confuse them and make them feel inferior, as shoppers.

The thing I don't get is that they go on about Twitter like its something new!! My dog had an account about two years ago but even he doesn't tweet any more. It just shows how behind the times QVC are :)

The thing I don't get is that they go on about Twitter like its something new!! My dog had an account about two years ago but even he doesn't tweet any more. It just shows how behind the times QVC are :)

Ha ha ha - your dog doesn't tweet any more ... doesn't he bark like all the other dogs lol :mysmilie_15::mysmilie_848::mysmilie_15:

I look forward to my daily tweets......from all the beautiful birds in my garden yet not one of them has an iPad attached to their beak!! :wink:

image.jpg

Tried to get a screen shot of the tweet and post it. Hope it worked!

Kind of ironic the woman tweeted to tell her to stop iPaddying. But Julia handled it well. It just shows you though, people are noticing how much time is being wasted on this kind of thing.

Last edited:
View attachment 8687

Tried to get a screen shot of the tweet and post it. Hope it worked!

Kind of ironic the woman tweeted to tell her to stop iPaddying. But Julia handled it well. It just shows you though, people are noticing how much time is being wasted on this kind of thing.

Thats sounds almost exactly the same as yesterday's complainer. Weird really, using twitter to moan about tweets!

i happened to catch this

i thought the presenter who i have never seen before dealt with it very professionally tbh

many a channel would not have even acknowledged the tweet

I think it's more likely to be Q shifting the demographics so that more customers communicate by the Internet and then it's only a short nudge to get them to order by App or website - bye bye call centre!

How many of the supermarkets have now got us scanning and packing out own shopping without a human being in sight?

Hmm but with only 5% of their client base supposedly using the app to order they've got their work cut out! I think it's also a way to try to get younger new customers. If they do think that I personallly think they've got it badly wrong, they need to sort out the luminous tent clothes they sell first lol.
Oh yeh, & those dodgy elasticated "slacks" with the Hollywood waist, (what ever that is), prob isn't doing them a lot of favours in the cred stakes either!

Last edited:
I switched on for a look at the TSV yesterday, and in the few vital moments that I should have been grabbed by seeing the item, being told about the item, all I got was the presenter reading tweets. I didn't hang around. I really doubt I am unique. This has to cost sales.

I switched on for a look at the TSV yesterday, and in the few vital moments that I should have been grabbed by seeing the item, being told about the item, all I got was the presenter reading tweets. I didn't hang around. I really doubt I am unique. This has to cost sales.
Time will tell I guess but I have a feeling you're correct. They could even fall between 2 planks, loose their existing customers who have no interest & not get the new ones they'd hoped for. The daily return of the Elemis TSV to me is a sign that they aren't selling the vols they were sometimes.

If they continue with tweets in the shows, its only a matter of time before someone reads out a very 'naughty' one. If the show is very busy and they are trying to read tweets and present the show at the same time, it would be easy to read it without thinking. Julia has been caught out twice that I have heard, ironically both Kipling shows. I felt sorry for her the first time when some smart arse mentioned her eye bags, and then yesterdays one telling her to put the IPad down.

The texts are checked first and the T.Callers are vetted (most of the time!). Its a bit more tricky with tweets.

i don't think it's just the presenters with twitter accounts is it? don't they tell people to tweet just @qvc or something? may be wrong cos i watch very little these days. despite that, whenever i see julia reading one, it's always somone saying how fabulous she looks, even the other day when she looked like a barrel in some hideous nina leonard (i think) dress. so i can't see her wanting to give it up any time soon ;)

Latest posts

Back