Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Green Seasons. That was it. There is a thread on the issue on the QVC forum somewhere. They had a bloke who looked like a heavy from EastEnders, making Phil Mitchell seem like Malcolm Muggeridge, showing us his meat, so to speak. Plus somebody cooking it called Butcher Michael (definitely a name. not a request). I think it was something to do with an issue of not fit for human consumption - the meat, not the station.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put aside money for Christmas (starting in January). Apart from having money for presents and a couple of Christmas concerts I like to buy plenty of treats, top of the range supermarket stuff and very occasionally biscuits from Fortnum and Mason. I can't handle the stress of ordering food from a shopping channel in case it doesn't arrive. We've also got a fancy organic butcher nearby which is quite expensive but nice for Christmas. I'm lucky I can save a bit in advance which makes it easier.

In the past hampers, the main benefit in the past was folks on lower incomes could pay up through the year, but as Jazzy says, they were often full of crap you didn't need, especially at xmas time. Then of course there was that trouble with Farepak when they went bust. I'm assuming hampers have been out of fashion since.

We never bought a hamper, don't known anybody that did, like Muttley have always saved separately for xmas time and buy what we actually wanted and needed, for years xmas food M & S was the first choice, but prices and quality are not what they used to be, I use a place, JK Fine foods (pricey but good quality), 5 mins down the road for the Beef & Turkey and ASDA/Iceland for the rest.

I save with Park who used to do hampers but it's all vouchers now. I just get a £50 Sainsburys gift card and have a direct debit of just over £4 a month. It's a nice surprise when it arrives and is financially protected now.

My apologies. I should have used a more appropriate analogy. I spent a number of years as a mental health advocate and before that as a Police Officer. So that probably makes it even worse. That said, as somebody who has my own direct personal experience of mental health issues in the past, I found myself and service users with mental health issues had very much a gallows humour to our impairments. That said, others would be offended - hence the apology.

We got hampers every year, but we had no money, being as there were 5 of us, and my dad's business went tits up when his labourer stole all of his tools.

They had to get provvies every year to pay for stuff.

Let’s be honest it was the nadir of shopping tv,absolutely no sympathy for the presenters,feel sorry for the other staff with no income at the moment.
Watching these so called presenters without a care in the world.
Partying you couldn’t make it up?
So selfish and says so much about them as people,as for old bikini what else did you expect me me me.

Picking up on the social media posts of some of them, they appear pretty relaxed and chilled in their writings. Let's face it, most of the 'bigger' names have got their fingers in other Real pies and one assumes income from IW was only part of their total earnings each year. It's the orderless customers, I feel sorry for and the 'shop floor' staff who only had one income. And remember... even if you did get your order in the final days or slightly before and something goes wrong with it, how on earth do you enforce your consumer rights? With the manufacturer? I doubt it as your contract is surely with Ideal World and Ideal World doesn't exist as a company any longer in that sense. What do you do? Put your faulty rattan furniture suite in the post, and send it back to the administrators?

Picking up on the social media posts of some of them, they appear pretty relaxed and chilled in their writings. Let's face it, most of the 'bigger' names have got their fingers in other Real pies and one assumes income from IW was only part of their total earnings each year. It's the orderless customers, I feel sorry for and the 'shop floor' staff who only had one income. And remember... even if you did get your order in the final days or slightly before and something goes wrong with it, how on earth do you enforce your consumer rights? With the manufacturer? I doubt it as your contract is surely with Ideal World and Ideal World doesn't exist as a company any longer in that sense. What do you do? Put your faulty rattan furniture suite in the post, and send it back to the administrators?

Thats a good point & why everyone, whenever they buy a product with a warranty, should read carefully and keep all paperwork, receipts etc for that purchase and register the product with the manufacturer's web site etc. Okay a £15 toaster from asda isn't really worth worrying about the warranty but for more expensive items it is.
A lot of warranties should be covered by the manufacturer, but you'll need to provide proof of purchase, date/retailer etc, will all depend on the product and what paperwork came with it etc. In the case of watches which i have a quite few, they come with warranty cards, which the retailer should have filled in with the relevant details, it's also prudent to register your watch with the manufacturer if they have this facility, you will often get extended warranty doing this. Unfortunately a lot of retailer, especially online outfits, ebay, Amazon etc don't fill these cards in so always keep any other paperwork so you can prove purchase. Now the first port of call if something is wrong with the watch will be retailer, who will then deal with the manufacturer to sort the problem, but if retailer has gone burst then you should still be able to contact the manufacturer, if they exist direct if still under warranty.
Examples of IW watch brands you are ok with, even if the IW and IW suppliers (watchbase, ILG etc) also went out of busniss, are VE, Roamer, Hanowa, Aviator, Mathey-Tissot etc.
And then there is the other problem where there are a lot of IW brands like Swan & Edgar, Resultco, Chritophe Duchamp etc who are more a wholesalers/retailer of watches themselves rather than an actual manufacturer of watches, so if they go out of business as well then you've no idea who actually the manufacturer is to have your watch sorted, then your only options are find a local watchmaker to fix it at your expense or bin it.

Looks like ideal has sold their database, just had an email from mainspring boutique, welcoming me to their company as a loyal customer of ideal, this is Jonathan Bordells watch company. Anyone else received this message ? (nicked from facebook)

Bordell doesn't miss a trick who is/was the "expert" for Nubeo please don't say Bordell

Latest posts

Back