Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I think Rob L is really trying to make a go of his first love, acting. Never say never but I doubt he'll want to come back unless he has bills that need paying.
I'm always trying to make a go of the acting. That'll never change. I've always got bills that need paying too, but hopefully the former will continue to cover the latter, eh? ;)

Kind regards to all...

I’m currently a captive audience of one. First time in about ten years I’ve caught a cold and naturally it’s a doozy. needed something to watch that required no concentration but was entertaining.

Definitely. Although Annie and her sidekick didn’t on Saturday, we just had the little VT clips of half a dozen sausages and a little green side salad. This is horrendous, and I don’t just mean that Gingham dress. TJC obviously wanted an instant return on their investment, if they couldn’t wait a month to set this operation up properly.

The attempts at a demo of the vacuum sealer were just farcical.Between the two of them they couldn’t even get it to work properly.They don’t seem to have any knowledge about any of the products and have done no preparation.It’s an absolute ****** disaster.

I'm always trying to make a go of the acting. That'll never change. I've always got bills that need paying too, but hopefully the former will continue to cover the latter, eh? ;)

Kind regards to all...
Yo Rob! Somebody we liked and enjoyed watching on the former Ideal World, lol 😀👍

@RobLocke We were talking on here about you recently with @GrantB, hearing what goes on behind the scenes and enjoying the YT video of you two selling and joking on late night IW/ITV during covid, with Grant trying to sell a phone and things falling off his table, etc. with you isolated on a stool at a distance.
You were saying entertainment and having fun was part of shopping TV. Totally agree.

What are you up to now? Are you in LA as I think I read somewhere? Can you say doing what or hoping to do?
Acting/drama/media is a precarious profession?

Are you watching or keeping tabs on the new Shop Extra (Create & Craft operation) and the now resurrected and relaunched Ideal World, this time by TJC who acquired the assets?
Any comments or observations on their attempts, or more generally?

Where can we see or watch your work?
Will we see you back on IW one day...?

Thanks for any replies and info.!

Wish you well in your endeavours,
Regards.

Yo Rob! Somebody we liked and enjoyed watching on the former Ideal World, lol 😀👍
Thank you so much. I truly appreciate that!
@RobLocke We were talking on here about you recently with @GrantB, hearing what goes on behind the scenes and enjoying the YT video of you two selling and joking on late night IW/ITV during covid, with Grant trying to sell a phone and things falling off his table, etc. with you isolated on a stool at a distance.
That was a fun night and the basis for wanting Grant to co-host my online show. He's a genuinely great guy and I always enjoyed trying to throw him off his game because his reactions were priceless.
You were saying entertainment and having fun was part of shopping TV. Totally agree.
Entertainment is (or should be) a huge part of shopping TV. At the end of the day, it's TV! If no-one wants to tune in, keep watching, and come back for more, what's the point?!

For any shopping channel, the emphasis is sales, of course. However, my philosophy and approach has always been: if the product is flying off the shelves, shut up and let the sales come in. If it's not, dial up the entertainment to keep the audience tuned in and maybe another product in the show will be more appealing. If people don't end up buying anything during that show, at least they've had a good time and will watch again, when they may choose to buy something.

It's about providing a balance between the company's needs and the needs of the customers. You can't ram everything down everyone's throats all the time! A customer is for life, not just for Christmas, type of thing. One has to look at the big picture.
What are you up to now? Are you in LA as I think I read somewhere? Can you say doing what or hoping to do?
I’m still in London at the moment. I was going to New York for three months in September, then back to LA afterwards (where I still have a home). Unfortunately, the Screen Actors Guild, of which I am a member, went on strike in July, following similar action by the Writers Guild a few months earlier, so all US film and television production closed down, which scuppered my plans.

The writers have brokered a deal and hopefully the actors will soon follow suit. Once it’s all sorted, I’ll spend 50% of my time in the States and 50% in the UK. That’s the plan.
Acting/drama/media is a precarious profession?
Very much so! As my teacher used to say, “If acting were easy, everyone would be good at it!” It’s a profession you have to stick to. You can’t win unless you’re playing the game.

I was a ‘jobbing’ actor in LA—I worked regularly and made a good living once I was established. That’s all I really wanted and expected. I’m under no illusions about being a ‘star’. I just love doing the job and, as a working actor, one of the ‘that guy in that thing’ types, I’m happy.

The pandemic decimated show business, and my career. Combined with the strikes, everyone is in recovery mode, but one just has to get back on the horse and keep riding. Truth be told, I wish acting wasn’t my all-consuming passion because I wouldn’t wish a career in entertainment on my worst enemy!
Are you watching or keeping tabs on the new Shop Extra (Create & Craft operation) and the now resurrected and relaunched Ideal World, this time by TJC who acquired the assets?
I’ve been in the ‘transactional TV’ game for so long now that I can’t help but keep an active interest. Also, many of the crew and presenters are good friends, so I genuinely care about their welfare and careers.
Any comments or observations on their attempts, or more generally?
I have many opinions, but, given my tendency to put my foot in my mouth, I’m going to plead the fifth. Yes, it’s a cop-out I confess, but even if I don’t necessarily agree with how people do things, I still respect them for trying. ;)

What I will say though is this. I was very lucky to have had seven glorious years at QVC. They were, and still are, a phenomenal company and I miss working there. You could say that I was spoiled by their high standards and focus on quality, innovation, and customer experience. It’s hard to compare them to anyone else really, especially when most others do their utmost to be ‘different’ to QVC. Well, after 37 years on the air globally, and billions spent on consumer research and operational excellence, doing it ‘differently’ usually means doing it worse. That’s why so many live channels have come and gone over the years, while QVC UK just celebrated their 30th anniversary.
Where can we see or watch your work?
There isn’t a ‘regular’ place at the moment, though I pop up on TV all the time, especially now that many US shows I was in are being repeated in the UK. I’ll keep you updated.
Will we see you back on IW one day...?
As the saying goes, ‘never say never’. There would have to be several caveats for me to return, if they would even want me to. The phone hasn't rung yet.

Going back to what I said earlier about entertainment, people often mistake my humour for not caring, whereas the complete opposite is true. They don’t always agree with my philosophy and approach, even though it’s a proven formula and appreciated by the majority of people who watch me. I also believe, as a performer, that you have to be true to your ‘brand’. I am who I am, I do what I do, take it or leave it. That will be for them to decide.
Thanks for any replies and info.!
My absolute please! Any time. I'm an open book. Not always the book you want to read, but on the shelf anyway when you do. 😆
Wish you well in your endeavours,
Hugely appreciated. The same to you and anyone else reading this much longer message than I originally intended to type.

Latest posts

Back