Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Thanks, nothing fancy, gifting & saw Tissot around £350-400, would be happy to go to J Lewis or maybe look Watch Hut

IW keep clear, so far, of crafting/indoor outdoor decor & more but like beauty products have hours of watches which are shown up not in a good way by the knowledge of you & others on the forum. Profit, cashflow, some beneficial write downs in the accounts?. It's a category they could enhance with a different approach, more realistic presentation, interact with texts.
Simona once asked the gallery what's next, answer was watches & she requested something else as she didn't know enough to present them as necessary

I've a few Tissot, 'Ballade', 'Seastar', 'Visodate' & 'T-Touch II', good watches.

Tissot 'Ballade' {Cal Powermatic 80 (ETA C07.111)}1.jpgTissot 'Seastar 1000' {Cal Powermatic 80.111 11 1-2''' [Base ETA C07.111 (ETA 2842-2)]}.jpg
Tissot 'Heritage Visodate' (Cal ETA 2836-2).jpgTissot T-Touch II  {Cal ETA E48 311 (Base ETA E40 305)}.jpg

I've bought a few watches for myself (although not my Tissots, got them from a local Jeweller) and a Certina for my neice from Jura/CW Sellors, always had good service and prices, especially in their sales often have really good bargains, also do a price match if they aren't the cheapest, also have a big range to choose from.

So much time IW is given to watch sales & with many knowledgeable people on here, would they know if IW were known as big sellers (£ or %) or there are a number of outlets doing similar numbers.
If someone was looking for a medium standard watch where would be their choice be online?
TK Maxx
(No - honestly).
They often have great deals on Swatch group product - Tissot, Rado, and Hamilton.
Watches with RRPs of £750-£1250 being sold for £300-£500.
It’s good, honest, product. I don’t get so much work out of them, because Swatch do fixed price servicing (they basically drop out the mechanism and replace it) for £200. And on a good, sturdy 2824 or 7750, that needs really only be a ten year event (IMO) unless it gets very hard wear.
Other than that, a Seiko 5 is a great entry into automatics, and shouldn’t cost much over £100. Or any Orient Automatic will utterly blow away every aspect of the cheaper Chinese tat offered by IW. Amazon have plenty from £100 to £250. And Amazon sell them.

Of course if you had just a little more, then Longines - but beware the micro brands at that level (c £1200). Very often it’ll have the same mechanism as the Tissot or the Hammy, but at double or treble the price. And even Longines aren’t immune - the best buys from them are, to me, the retrogrades etc.
Then you go up to Tudor or Omega. Or Zenith, or IWC etc. But they are all far from medium standard.

Last edited:
So they're selling a watch for £160 that should be selling for £1,160.

So, assuming everyone along the supply chain is still making at least some profit at £160, the mark-up at its usual selling price of £1,160 would be at least 750-800% if my calcs are right.

Go and Google 'mark up on watches' ;)
And google the word ‘shyster’.
I think some of them may even be listed by name!
🤣🤣

I've a few Tissot, 'Ballade', 'Seastar', 'Visodate' & 'T-Touch II', good watches.

View attachment 28081View attachment 28083
View attachment 28082View attachment 28084

I've bought a few watches for myself (although not my Tissots, got them from a local Jeweller) and a Certina for my neice from Jura/CW Sellors, always had good service and prices, especially in their sales often have really good bargains, also do a price match if they aren't the cheapest, also have a big range to choose from.

I’ve got the blue Visiodate as well. Absolutely lovely in the sun.

2 presenters 50 minutes on a £14.99 bag how can they be making any money
I have a bag almost identical to that as I wanted something I could wear under a coat. Bought from eBay for £6.00 postage free. As we all know it’s not really postage free the postage is factored into the price, add to that the seller is making a profit on each sale and the bag I bought is worth, somewhere at an absolute max,well under £3.00

Last edited:
:(

I've just been chased out of Asda.

Why?

Cause I was looking at their steaks and I said to the staff 'you could put a 1 in front of those prices and they'd sell all day long!' I then said to a passing granny 'even if you don't need these steaks, just buy 'em, JUST BUY 'EM!!!'

At that point security appeared :(

As I ran out I kept shouting back at them 'A TELL IT LIKE IT IS ME!!!'
OK grandad, we'll get your pipe and slippers.

TK Maxx
(No - honestly).
They often have great deals on Swatch group product - Tissot, Rado, and Hamilton.
Watches with RRPs of £750-£1250 being sold for £300-£500.
It’s good, honest, product. I don’t get so much work out of them, because Swatch do fixed price servicing (they basically drop out the mechanism and replace it) for £200. And on a good, sturdy 2824 or 7750, that needs really only be a ten year event (IMO) unless it gets very hard wear.
Other than that, a Seiko 5 is a great entry into automatics, and shouldn’t cost much over £100. Or any Orient Automatic will utterly blow away every aspect of the cheaper Chinese tat offered by IW. Amazon have plenty from £100 to £250. And Amazon sell them.

Of course if you had just a little more, then Longines - but beware the micro brands at that level (c £1200). Very often it’ll have the same mechanism as the Tissot or the Hammy, but at double or treble the price. And even Longines aren’t immune - the best buys from them are, to me, the retrogrades etc.
Then you go up to Tudor or Omega. Or Zenith, or IWC etc. But they are all far from medium standard.

They had a bunch of Trasers not that long ago.

They are also handy for folks that are not into watch collecting but just want an affordable everyday watch, plenty of choice of fashion watches at decent prices from the likes of Police, Timberland, Armani etc.

Agree with Seiko or Orient in the £100-£250 range, just can't beat them. Of course they are not limited to only making good watches below £250, lot of good stuff from Seiko and a few from Orient Star at £250+ as well.

But there are so many choices out there not just the watches themselves but where to buy, so many different retailers, here and abroad, so it definately pays to have a good look around the internet first to pick a watch you like, check it's specs/brand details etc then search again for the best price.

Free Meals, Free Meals, buy these socks Free Meals
I know Superman III gets a bad rap but the comedy between Richard Prior and Robert Vaughn always tickles me and I find myself quoting him often. But this scene and especially the beginning of the clip where he discusses what happens to his socks (your comment just triggered it). The point being he's so rich he doesn't care and yet he wants more money:

Latest posts

Back