Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I’m not there mouth piece, but as Alex says, they are 3 days in, and curently don’t have many products, he is willing for customers to give Ideas on the products you want
Not sure about cosying up to any of these channels really.

We aren't a fan club but a discussion group and when we see good or bad we call it either way.

OK, give the new channels a chance to establish themselves, maybe go a bit easy at first. But if/when they keep trotting out the same cheap tat and worse, the familiar sales tactics, then it's no holds barred.

So far, for me, SeonTv and ShonTV have been rather boring and predictable with their products but more low key with their presentation which is welcome. But I think getting pally with the producers would be a compromise. If they read our comments and decide to take notice then fine but I don't want a sort of joint enterprise.

Would do others think?

Duchamp Grand Mont coming up with Mike of the Masons this morning. You know, the one that was limited stock yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that.
We meed to know what their definition of "limited stock" is. They could be down to their last 10,000😂

We aren't a fan club but a discussion group and when we see good or bad we call it either way.

OK, give the new channels a chance to establish themselves, maybe go a bit easy at first. But if/when they keep trotting out the same cheap tat and worse, the familiar sales tactics, then it's no holds barred.

So far, for me, SeonTv and ShonTV have been rather boring and predictable with their products but more low key with their presentation which is welcome. But I think getting pally with the producers would be a compromise. If they read our comments and decide to take notice then fine but I don't want a sort of joint enterprise.

Would do others think?

I would agree with that, although i would say a lot of channels i'm ambivilent towards, neither like nor dislike, just boring and ain't for me. Of the channels that are popular on the forum, discussion wise, QVC is professional mob but boring, did buy stuff in it's early days but doesn't have anything i want these days. TJC/IW2 dislike, TJC is just an IW lite and IW2 is just IW with cheaper tat. Shop on TV, bordering on dislike, connections to Ideal Shopping Direct/IW is a turn off for me, heck just having drone guy is a turn off, as is it's time slot. Seen on TV, early days but too many connections with IW so heading down the dislike route, especially now Bordell has turned up.

Would do others think?
I agree that people on here should be free to express whatever opinions about the companies and output without worrying what the folks involved think. But here's my take on it. I realise shopping TV are retailers, so they are going to have a staple of products that work for them. Airfryers, vacuums, steam cleaners, pillows and mattresses (ZZzzz) and watches. We are not going to be able to avoid these things as they clearly make money for the channels. And it has to be said not all of these products can be presented in a new and dynamic way either. I get that. And people are entitled to a moan about it just the same. Just like going into a department store or supermarket there are plenty of items I walk past to get to what I like and need.

I know that a couple of the channels have promised to bring bigger and better things and I think it is possible. Better known brands, well demonstrated products, engaging presenters help a lot in doing this. Where I think things fall down, and where present Ideal World are guilty, is in the hyperbole and downright exaggeration of how good an item is. I do think Ideal World pedalling something off Wish and passing it off in the same realm as a well known brand is absolutely disgusting. Shady price comparisons and murky patter from shameless presenters who are willing to lie to our face, who are laughing behind our backs at the gullible Murials and Ednas, forking out their pensions for car boot sale tat.

Where they could improve is actually showcasing the Homesmart stuff and being honest about it being an Ideal World brand (TJC). If they said it was their own brand and which are genuinely decent budget items and sold them as such it would be much more relatable. Instead they have to compare to a Tefal or something else worth a couple of hundred quid more and act like the budget item they are selling is worth the same. It is the underhanded (and completely unnecessary) tactics that really leave a bad taste in the mouth. The producers and behind the scenes team seem to push these made up comparisons as if putting it in writing on screen makes it true. Someone needs to do an internal investigation and stamp out these things. Because in all honesty, if those tactics were gone and everyone was like Rob Lamar it would make more sense. I like the fact that these other channels are trying to address this and want to bring products that I have talked about.

The other thing, as I have mentioned before, is that to even acquire a slot on any multiplex costs a fortune so there is a lot of stuff that needs to be arranged before a channel can even begin to get off the ground so I understand using the safe hands products to begin with

I remember when If QVC were selling a HP Laptop they would have a guy from HP Demoing it.

These days it’s like it’s a in-house Demonstrator for everything

I've noticed a guy on QVC a couple of times with techy stuff, sounded like he was their version of Grant B, especially with phones and tablets, he did seem quite clued up on technology stuff and easy to follow, complete opposite of Peter V.
Yeah there used to be a lot more actual brand employees doing demonstrating, but these days there seems to be a pool of self taught demonstrators that float around the various channels.

He thought putting 'celebs' on with social media followings would help.

And Eric Knowles.
😳

The Christophe Duchamp doesn't even say Swiss Made (unlike the Roamer), but 'Swiss Movement'. How is that any way comparable to any decent watch at that price point.

I've bought a couple of cheap and not-so-cheap 'Swiss Made' from TJC and TkMaxx better than this overpriced Duchamp!
It’s quite crafty, to be honest.

To label as ‘Swiss Movement’, the movement must have undergone technical development in Switzerland, be inspected by the manufacturer in Switzerland and at least 60% of the manufacturing costs be generated in Switzerland).
Now, remember that labour costs in Switzerland are very high, especially compared to China, where the rest of the assembly often takes place, so that 60% might well just involve casing the watch and pressing the hands on.

I've noticed a guy on QVC a couple of times with techy stuff, sounded like he was their version of Grant B, especially with phones and tablets, he did seem quite clued up on technology stuff and easy to follow, complete opposite of Peter V.
Yeah there used to be a lot more actual brand employees doing demonstrating, but these days there seems to be a pool of self taught demonstrators that float around the various channels.
Yes Lee Hoebein, I know Duke has views on him

It’s quite crafty, to be honest.

To label as ‘Swiss Movement’, the movement must have undergone technical development in Switzerland, be inspected by the manufacturer in Switzerland and at least 60% of the manufacturing costs be generated in Switzerland).
Now, remember that labour costs in Switzerland are very high, especially compared to China, where the rest of the assembly often takes place, so that 60% might well just involve casing the watch and pressing the hands on.

Yeah, we've seen that before with the likes of Claro, ISA & DEPA, etc they've all been guilty of sending Chinese ebauche movements to Switzerland, new hairspring, little touch up, re-assemble and voila, "Swiss Made".

Of course, some of the less scrupulous in China will just mark watches or movements "Swiss Made" without them ever visiting Switzerland. :ROFLMAO:

I remember when If QVC were selling a HP Laptop they would have a guy from HP Demoing it.

These days it’s like it’s a in-house Demonstrator for everything
I think he was called Danny and actually worked for HP. He was very knowledgeable and not only demonstrated the products but gave the technical specifications too. He didn’t ring his mum either🤭🤣

Latest posts

Back