Scott?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

jacqualina

Registered Shopper
Is Scott not sailing a bit close to the wind? I watched the start of the aquamarine hour and although the description reads Santa Maria Coloured Aquamarine, Scott was clearly calling it Santa Maria Aquamarine and (in my opinion) leading the viewer to think it is the real deal. In the first game there was no origin given in the details, but in subsequent games the origin was Nigeria, so not Santa Maria aquamarine. All very misleading.

I saw that too and he quite clearly stated that it was "all the way from Brazil"

Just been watching now and said it's from Nigeria and Santa Maria Aqua. goes under lots of different names but all comes from same origin????? Me thinks he should get his knuckles wrapped for this!!

Will be interesting to see what's said about it on tonights airing with a different presenter. Might not be able to watch tonight, depends whether other half hogs the telly for sport - it'll stop me spending though.

My thoughts exactly. It's those who don't know any better that I feel sorry for because if they have seen the real deal on TJC being sold at the real deal prices then they are going to think that they are getting a fantastic price from Gems. They should be clearly stating that this is NOT Santa Maria Aquamarine but a similarly coloured imposter!

You know if people would just be honest they would ultimately prosper from it.

I think I may have said this before but at the risk of being boring, I find Scott very watchable but I think he's the trickiest of the presenters. xxxx

Anyone watching Scottie just now? He's checked the footage and has said he did say it was from Nigeria ......... and that some peeps think he was being "tricky" - lol.

Thanks for responding Scottie. xxx

Jacqualina - Scott has quite firmly said on air just now that he watched back the whole hour of the show and at no point did he say that it was Santa Maria Aquamarine from Brazil. He said that he did say it was Santa Maria Coloured Aqua from Nigeria. He got, errrrrr, shall we say, quite forceful about it!

So Scott, since you're obviously reading these forums - how about stating on air that the Tahitian Pearls are NOT irradiated please? Not treated, not dyed, irradiated! The Gems enhancement page clearly states that all pearls are treated in some way. You've been very keen to say they're not dyed but you haven't addressed the irradiation issue. IF the TPs are completely natural then you also need to state that AND the enhancement page should be changed. Cheers big ears!

Does that mean that we who heard him are liars then? Unfortunately we don't have the privilege of rewatching the footage unless we've recorded it.
I know he said it and that's why I posted on here- and he LATER said it was from Nigeria,about half way through the hour presumably coz the powers that be noticed his error, again this was in my post. Nuff said.

I didn't hear him say that it was from Brazil, but he was clearly calling it Santa Maria Aquamarine without the word 'coloured'. I posted after only three games as I thought his turn of phrase was pretty dubious. What he said later in the programme I don't know as I stopped watching as I thought it was so misleading.
Maybe I'm wrong, or deaf or just dillusional, but that's certainly the way I heard it.

Last edited:
I think I heard it the same way as your Jacqualina. He then made of point of saying SM Colour Aqua, but had been calling it SM Aqua early in the show, or we were both having auditory hallucinations?????

If he has said it, (wish I'd heard/noticed this particular piece of programming) it's madness to deny as it's an errror(?) anyone can and has made. Lynn said it today "Santa Maria aquamarine" but picked herself up, corrected and apologised. I think Gems or mine owners may have placed their sales reps/presenters in a difficult situation, after years of having described the actual Santa Maria aqua they are now faced with this "pretender" from Nigeria (I have myself just typed Brazil instead of Nigeria). I strongly suspect for many that as soon as the words Santa Maria are out of their mouths, the rest just automatically follows. If it's such a fine colour why not describe it in a unique way. This seems to be a fault within the jewellery industry, why is Padparadscha colour sapphire so called instead of something completely different. Is it not good enough to stand out with a name of its own?

As a gem pleb I find this odd and confusing. I understand that Ceylon Blue is the name of a colour as it has been so for as long as I can remember, but Adina doesn't as she's inclined to call it Ceylonese Blue. Although I believe this to be an affectation as is "Gems Television", I can to a point understand how it can happen.

Is it me, or am I maybe missing the point as to why certain gemstones are named so closely after another, or is it simply an unimaginative attempt to make us believe we are getting something which in fact we are not? xxxxx

They should just call it Aquamarine or if they need to big up the quality theres always their majestic or AAA titles (mind you rocks& co have beaten them to the latter)

Is it me, or am I maybe missing the point as to why certain gemstones are named so closely after another, or is it simply an unimaginative attempt to make us believe we are getting something which in fact we are not? xxxxx

Arge this is the most important paragraph and actually you've hit the nail on the head. There is no such natural mined gem as Santa Maria Coloured Aquamarine or Padparadscha Coloured Sapphire. These are names made up by GemsTV to do a bit of "clever" marketing to the uninitiated.

Let me explain ............... Padparadscha Sapphires are amongst the rarest, sought after Sapphires of the corundum family and can be extremely expensive. They are nature's way of giving you a glorious Sapphire that is peach/pink in colour. Many years ago at GemsTV they sold these gems as "Padparadscha Sapphire". Were they the real deal? Who knows! There was a HUGE furore culiminating in several complaints and subsequently GemsTV called their range of Padparadschas "Padparadscha Coloured Sapphires" and confirmed that these were treated with Beryillium Diffusion i.e. they took (normally) dirty yellow coloured sapphires, stuck them in a big oven and cooked them with added elements (Beryillium) to change their colour. So are they Padparadschas? No, most certainly not. Are they Sapphires? Yes. What should the price be? It should be the same as any heated/treated Sapphire - so not a lot!

Then, onto Santa Maria Aquamarine. As you've rightly said, SM Aqua is from Brazil and the pocket found was a very deep blue. What's being sold now is Aqua from other parts of the world treated to be the same colour. That is why IF Scott didn't use the word "coloured" in his presentation, it's misleading.

Adding the word "coloured" is a GemsTV thing and at least they're being honest about what the gems are (although you do have to understand the term in the first place)! Other companies are not as honest. As GC said, like the term "Majestic" or "Royal" and even "AAAA" which never existed for Tanzanite apart from in GemsTV world also are made up marketing terms! At least by having and using the word "coloured" it does indicate to those that understand that this is not "the real deal".

Then we come onto Ceylon Sapphires. A Ceylon Sapphire can really only be called such if it has its origin in Ceylon - and the term is normally used to give the reader an idea of colour. Sapphires from Ceylon have a certain colour (prized). The term is misleading therefore because it's now commonly used to denote colour - irrespective of origin. Would I call a treated Sapphire a Ceylon Sapphire? Probably not as it's misleading. Blue sapphire would be more the mark!

Don't get me wrong - GemsTV are by no means on their own with these marketing ploys. Certain other channels do exactly the same. I saw Padparadscha Quartz the other day!!!!

HTH

ps If you want to see what a real Ceylon Sapphire (untreated) looks like, have a look in Bling!

Arge this is the most important paragraph and actually you've hit the nail on the head. There is no such natural mined gem as Santa Maria Coloured Aquamarine or Padparadscha Coloured Sapphire. These are names made up by GemsTV to do a bit of "clever" marketing to the uninitiated.

Let me explain ............... Padparadscha Sapphires are amongst the rarest, sought after Sapphires of the corundum family and can be extremely expensive. They are nature's way of giving you a glorious Sapphire that is peach/pink in colour. Many years ago at GemsTV they sold these gems as "Padparadscha Sapphire". Were they the real deal? Who knows! There was a HUGE furore culiminating in several complaints and subsequently GemsTV called their range of Padparadschas "Padparadscha Coloured Sapphires" and confirmed that these were treated with Beryillium Diffusion i.e. they took (normally) dirty yellow coloured sapphires, stuck them in a big oven and cooked them with added elements (Beryillium) to change their colour. So are they Padparadschas? No, most certainly not. Are they Sapphires? Yes. What should the price be? It should be the same as any heated/treated Sapphire - so not a lot!

Then, onto Santa Maria Aquamarine. As you've rightly said, SM Aqua is from Brazil and the pocket found was a very deep blue. What's being sold now is Aqua from other parts of the world treated to be the same colour. That is why IF Scott didn't use the word "coloured" in his presentation, it's misleading.

Adding the word "coloured" is a GemsTV thing and at least they're being honest about what the gems are (although you do have to understand the term in the first place)! Other companies are not as honest. As GC said, like the term "Majestic" or "Royal" and even "AAAA" which never existed for Tanzanite apart from in GemsTV world also are made up marketing terms! At least by having and using the word "coloured" it does indicate to those that understand that this is not "the real deal".

Then we come onto Ceylon Sapphires. A Ceylon Sapphire can really only be called such if it has its origin in Ceylon - and the term is normally used to give the reader an idea of colour. Sapphires from Ceylon have a certain colour (prized). The term is misleading therefore because it's now commonly used to denote colour - irrespective of origin. Would I call a treated Sapphire a Ceylon Sapphire? Probably not as it's misleading. Blue sapphire would be more the mark!

Don't get me wrong - GemsTV are by no means on their own with these marketing ploys. Certain other channels do exactly the same. I saw Padparadscha Quartz the other day!!!!

HTH

ps If you want to see what a real Ceylon Sapphire (untreated) looks like, have a look in Bling!

I notice lately that AAA+ seems to have slid into the Gems vocabulary. xxx

This is not connected to Scott, but thought I would bump this thread up.
Purely in the interests of research I have item no. UTW8459 (sorry, can't do links or screen shots) in my basket. I was flicking through the channels and saw it being auctioned as Santa Maria Aquamarine and thought it a very good price. Quickly logged on and pressed the buy now button. Afterwards I had time to look at the details and here we go again ..... origins Nigeria and no mention of the word 'Coloured' in the title. Has my eyesight gone wonky, have the origins of Santa Maria Aquamarine suddenly changed, or are Gemstv sailing very close to the wind and deceiving people yet again?

Latest posts

Back