Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Many opticians now employ audiologists because they`ve diversified into selling hearing aids as well as specs. The optician near me isn`t a large chain such as Specsavers, its a small family run shop where Mr V has bought his specs for years. They moved into selling hearing aids around 5 years ago and employ a trained audiologist who I`m surmising is the person who does the ear wax removal.
Mr V wears 2 hearing aids and I have hearing loss too after many surgeries and both of us have had ear wax removal by suction not syringing. I get mine done whenever I see my consultant and Mr v gets his done when he changes his hearing aids. I think actual syringing is rare these days and the newer suction method is what these private places offer.

My husband had his ears suctioned at the hospital last year. He had been having problems vor a while with recurring ear infections.

I need my ears syringed, as I do every few years, done by the nurse.

But the nurses are only doing dressings!

So I have no hope of an appointment, and meanwhile I have gone quite deaf as it comes on suddenly.

Someone on here will probably suggest ear drops or olive oil, but this always makes it even worse. I normally have to put up with drops for a few days before syringing, but won't try it this time.
In many areas of the country GP surgeries I not doing ear syringing anymore even before the pandemic.

'Ear syringing is ineffective and could even permanently damage patients' ears, experts have warned. In new guidance, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) has advised that ear syringing, where a large syringe is used to pump water into the ear, is potentially harmful and should no longer be used.' This was written in 2017 & a private appointment is £50 ish.
The last couple of times I had mine done, it was with a an electric macchine that was a similar size as toothbrush with a tank.

The last couple of times I had mine done, it was with a an electric macchine that was a similar size as toothbrush with a tank.
The excuse put forward by NICE is meaningless & just about money because the water filled syringe went out decades ago & was replaced by a kinder & up to date method. Some of the things that are no longer available on the NHS, such as free prescriptions for paracetamols, I do agree with. However, this is neither a lengthy nor costly procedure but makes a huge difference to people & I find the fact that it's no longer offered totally appalling.

The excuse put forward by NICE is meaningless & just about money because the water filled syringe went out decades ago & was replaced by a kinder & up to date method. Some of the things that are no longer available on the NHS, such as free prescriptions for paracetamols, I do agree with. However, this is neither a lengthy nor costly procedure but makes a huge difference to people & I find the fact that it's no longer offered totally appalling.
It seems crazy to expect people to have hearing loss rather than maintain quality of life.
I feel the same about bariatric interventions. They force people to have life limiting, independence -wrecking conditions before they will consider helping. I know they have budgets, but surely the cost of free medications for diabetes, support for sight loss, provision of mobility aids eff outweigh the cost of bariatric surgery and other support for weight loss?
Short-term thinking, rather than long-term.

bar.png

Bry was unfortunately very sick yesterday as he'd eaten some dead thing and drunk half a puddle. The rest of the day was spent vomiting and then trying to find and re-eat the sick. Hmmmm lovely.

Now he's recovered and is sitting curled up with me on my heated blanket. He doesn't get anywhere near my wine, dirty puddles are good enough for him :D:D (of course he has fresh, clean water at all times but he seems to prefer the dirty stuff).

CC

Bry was unfortunately very sick yesterday as he'd eaten some dead thing and drunk half a puddle. The rest of the day was spent vomiting and then trying to find and re-eat the sick. Hmmmm lovely.

Now he's recovered and is sitting curled up with me on my heated blanket. He doesn't get anywhere near my wine, dirty puddles are good enough for him :D:D (of course he has fresh, clean water at all times but he seems to prefer the dirty stuff).

CC
It sounds as though he never learns from the aftermath of his adventures :sick:

Latest posts

Back