Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I always like money-saving tips, such as cutting open your "empty" toothpaste tube so you can scrape another week's worth of paste from the inside.

But this is the best tip I've come across so far, and it would also work for making cups of tea, boiling rice etc.

View attachment 20618
I couldn't do that, they haven't given the recipe.

I wouldn
I always like money-saving tips, such as cutting open your "empty" toothpaste tube so you can scrape another week's worth of paste from the inside.

But this is the best tip I've come across so far, and it would also work for making cups of tea, boiling rice etc.

View attachment 20618

I would never bother doing that. I prefer my freezer to be full of food. 😉

On this, the anniversary of the start of the first lock down I want to say thank you to everyone on this forum for the laughs, the support and the healthy cynicism for anything QVC.

I have saved a fortune thanks to the advice and links put up on here for where things can be bought cheaper and with free returns and I haven't tumbled down the black hole of depression when I would buy anything influenced by the faux 'I'm your friend' presenters.

When I win the Lottery I'm throwing a party and you're all invited!!

I agree with the above, I love this Forum and the people on it, we all have a bond having been, and still going, through the same thing this past twelve months, it’s a bond that I can’t see ever breaking between us, thanks Graham and Sazza for giving us that opportunity to support each other, love you all I really do 🙏❤️ xx

I’ve posted a lot more on this forum since the first lockdown in March 2020. Somehow, “chatting” on here brought some normality to things as I live alone although, thankfully, I’m not lonely.

Since all this started I’ve done copious amounts of clearing out and re-organising things which has been quite satisfying. I usually do about 10000 miles a year in the car but, since last September, I’ve done about 200 miles and that’s only been locally (obviously) so that’s saved on wear and tear. The one bonus to all of this dreadful year is that, because I’m not going out or going away every weekend, my bank balance is looking extremely happy. However, the minute we are allowed to go wherever we want, that will change.

I’m so grateful that my family and I have stayed well so far and my sympathy goes out to anyone who isn’t in that fortunate position.

This forum has kept me amused and informed and a lot of the posts, including the pictures from Strato have made me laugh.

So my thanks to you all. Stay safe, stay sane because, hopefully, the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.

Just when the first lockdown eased, I did my ankle. Just when I could walk without crutches, we got Tier 4. Now there is light at the end of the tunnel I have somehow managed to do my back in! Is someone telling me something, 😃. I am off to the osteopath this afternoon, and I discovered one just round the corner. Luckily there’s isn’t a lot else to spend money on at the moment. Well apart from various stashes of course!

We have laughed, gave virtual hugs to each other, moaned and bitched.

I have just gave up getting excited over us escaping lockdowns. Two different experts have said okay we all get the vaccine, BUT, it will depend on the rest of the world vaccinating. One cheerful woman even said it will be next year before we can stop social distancing or now wearing masks. Countries in Europe are having another wave. Last night I flashed a torch for the 126,000+ people who have died in the UK the highest death rate in Europe. Looking around I only noticed a neighbour flashing their care headlights, no one else bothered.

I am now reduced to buying the cat things from Amazon. A very large cat tree which I assembled on Saturday the ****** thing is over 4 feet high. A new scratching post is arriving today. Oh, I did buy two books gothic horror stories.

Everyone here has helped me loads in times of worry this past year, you influence me far too much really, for all the right reasons. Hearing what peoples thoughts and responses to it all as it unfolded made me feel so reassured, that I wasn't the only one. Also as I don't watch the news and avoid it like the plague as it upsets me far too much, I was able to get information that was important still, you were all on the ball, up to date giving out info that was important and timely and I am grateful for that.

Who'd have thought a year ago we could have coped a year as it seemed such a heavy challenge ... but we did of course. Here's to the future.

We have laughed, gave virtual hugs to each other, moaned and bitched.

I have just gave up getting excited over us escaping lockdowns. Two different experts have said okay we all get the vaccine, BUT, it will depend on the rest of the world vaccinating. One cheerful woman even said it will be next year before we can stop social distancing or now wearing masks. Countries in Europe are having another wave. Last night I flashed a torch for the 126,000+ people who have died in the UK the highest death rate in Europe. Looking around I only noticed a neighbour flashing their care headlights, no one else bothered.

I am now reduced to buying the cat things from Amazon. A very large cat tree which I assembled on Saturday the ****** thing is over 4 feet high. A new scratching post is arriving today. Oh, I did buy two books gothic horror stories.
Mankind has to live with this virus, as we do with many others, & no country can call itself covid-free or safe while it's still in circulation & causing high numbers of fatalities. 'Masks & gaps' will continue for the for some time & if that means an almost return to normality so be it. If there was a global method of counting deaths we'd have a true picture but I suspect there's a lot of 'politics' happening in the West & many developing countries don't have systems that record deaths the way we do. I didn't do the silence or the doorstep vigil because I disagreed with the blanket statement that everyone who died from covid was worthy of respect or remembrance; there were several victims whose actions were so vile I think they should have left the planet years ago. There's also no acknowledgement of those who have suffered, & will continue to do that, because their conditions have been deemed of lesser importance, one being someone very special to me whose passing left a man & two boys devastated.

Mankind has to live with this virus, as we do with many others, & no country can call itself covid-free or safe while it's still in circulation & causing high numbers of fatalities. 'Masks & gaps' will continue for the for some time & if that means an almost return to normality so be it. If there was a global method of counting deaths we'd have a true picture but I suspect there's a lot of 'politics' happening in the West & many developing countries don't have systems that record deaths the way we do. I didn't do the silence or the doorstep vigil because I disagreed with the blanket statement that everyone who died from covid was worthy of respect or remembrance; there were several victims whose actions were so vile I think they should have left the planet years ago. There's also no acknowledgement of those who have suffered, & will continue to do that, because their conditions have been deemed of lesser importance, one being someone very special to me whose passing left a man & two boys devastated.
So true, we must acknowledge the deaths and the bereaved...but let's not forget the survivors who are left to endure the consequences of contracting covid. They must not be forgotten.

This is our safe space to let go of how we are really feeling. Feelings which we may hide from our nearest and dearest or feelings which we find it difficult to talk about face to face with others. I`ve cried more in the past few days than I`ve done in years. We had our beloved dog put to sleep last Saturday and it was so sudden and unexpected that we`re still in shock.
During lockdown she was our reason to get up, go out and someone to talk to or comfort me. Not just a dog but family.
I`ve been laid up with a fractured wrist and damaged tendons so one of my sons had her for me so she could get the exercise she needed and I now feel guilty that I didn`t get to spend those weeks with her and only had a very short time with her before she suddenly became unable to stand up or walk and a scan showed she had an inoperable mass on her brain. It was so sudden, one day she seemed fine, the next day unable to stand or walk.

This is our safe space to let go of how we are really feeling. Feelings which we may hide from our nearest and dearest or feelings which we find it difficult to talk about face to face with others. I`ve cried more in the past few days than I`ve done in years. We had our beloved dog put to sleep last Saturday and it was so sudden and unexpected that we`re still in shock.
During lockdown she was our reason to get up, go out and someone to talk to or comfort me. Not just a dog but family.
I`ve been laid up with a fractured wrist and damaged tendons so one of my sons had her for me so she could get the exercise she needed and I now feel guilty that I didn`t get to spend those weeks with her and only had a very short time with her before she suddenly became unable to stand up or walk and a scan showed she had an inoperable mass on her brain. It was so sudden, one day she seemed fine, the next day unable to stand or walk.
Oh no, Vienna. My heart breaks for you... you have had such a trying time this year and losing a much loved member of the family so suddenly as light has been wavering into life at the end of this lockdown seems especially hard.
Don't feel guilty. Your dear friend must have appreciated you putting her needs first, by getting her out and about to her heart's content. It may be your selfless, caring gesture gave you longer with her overall. We cannot know what the future will bring, so don't regret actions taken in good faith at the time. Sending you virtual hugs.🐕💗🐕💗🐕💗😥

You should never underestimate what effect the last year has had on anyone, it is how you feel there is no scale on that.The one thing it has taught me is who I count as friends and who are associates, and some will be in the latter category!
Thanks to you all for your comments, advice, support and most of all laughs, may we all go forward to better times.I just want to sit in the same room and have a conversation with someone & get in the car for a longer drive!

Vienna, so sorry to hear about your loss, I remember years ago when my little dog had to be put to sleep, just heartbreaking.After such events we agonise over regrets, why didn’t we do this, that? As time moves on we start to see these things in a better context, believe me.I lost a long term friend last year and had been involved in every aspect of the illness and care.After the death it was as if I hadn’t been any part of their life, that was hard, but in time I realised my life had to go on and although that feeling will always be with me it cannot define my life.
Be easy on yourself and take time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back