Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

And the low life of society, in the face coughers, curfew ignorers, pensioners pension robbers etc., should be shipped to a desert island.

And nuked!

You're not being selfish & however bad life is for others being miserable ourselves won't change theirs. We lost someone last December, I love Christmas & felt so guilty for still feeling the same joy I always have, his widow picked up on this & told me not to be so daft because all the wailing in the world wouldn't change what had happened. I'm convinced that this crisis is a wake up call for humanity; I'm very eco aware & have to stop myself from getting on my soapbox, however, if it makes me peel potatoes more sparingly, think twice before I buy too much & reduce the amount of stuff I use it will have served a purpose in my life.

I've always tried to get the most out of everything I bring into the house. It's a habit that's never left me from a habit my mum and nan had from living through the war years. It helps that I'm tight but thinking of the "starving children" and "clean your plate" haven't helped the size of my bottom over the years!

I had an email yesterday saying that a delivery had been delayed, but got one today saying that it’s on its way, so I anticipate it’s arrival tomorrow.

I guess that they are inundated with online orders/deliveries. Amazon are also delaying the delivery of non essential items.

M&S sent out an email, they are not taking the Sparks their loyalty card at the moment. Also only food halls open and they are going to start only letting in so many at a time.

A friend who like me has asthma but on different inhalers, the chemist is having problems getting the purple one she uses.
Asthma UK were saying there has been problems with a specific inhaler and people need to get an alternative. I did not take in the details I don't use.

Well, it seems that BoJo will be writing to every home in the UK as this looks like it might go on until June the lockdown that is.

I am wondering how the land army that has been mentioned will work, people picking fruit and veg in the fields they will have to be closer to each other than 2 metres apart? Will they be making those on job searchers do it and or those who have been laid of temporarily if they don't get much volunteering? Usually, this is all done by foreign workers from the EU who come over or already live here.

Well, it seems that BoJo will be writing to every home in the UK as this looks like it might go on until June the lockdown that is.

I am wondering how the land army that has been mentioned will work, people picking fruit and veg in the fields they will have to be closer to each other than 2 metres apart? Will they be making those on job searchers do it and or those who have been laid of temporarily if they don't get much volunteering? Usually, this is all done by foreign workers from the EU who come over or already live here.
My Mr T was an agricultural bank manager, & did I have to keep my mouth shut about animal welfare! Anyway he's still in touch with a number of farmers & has offered his services, he asked if I wanted to do it as well, silly man :ROFLMAO: I wondered about the distances between people & he said that wouldn't be an issue as he'd be allocated a row or section of his own. Thinking back our younger daughter picked beans for one of these farmers during a uni summer holiday & spent all the time on her own. It was extremely hard work & she was the only British one who stuck it out; I think the world of her but my admiration for her over those long week was at another level.

There`s an article in the press today saying that some Chinese markets selling live animals and reptiles have now reopened because of the lifting of some restrictions. Does that Country never learn ? I`m hoping the UK amongst others will put sanctions in place against China once this dratted virus is over.

I saw film of the Wu thing market dead meat being sold plus live animals including kittens that look about 6 weeks old for the pot. Snakes being gutted whilst alive etc.
Dreadful,dreadful. We were in Barcelona once walking up La Ramblas, they had rabbits,chickens,golden pheasants in cages. We decided to walk elsewhere because I wanted to open the cages.

Experts say there will be another outbreak of an animal to human virus. They say that it will come from the wild, like the previous ones. We have no immune defence. Rather than blithely returning to cultural norms, this should serve as a wake-up call. Our cultural norms and usual behaviours are currently proving deadly.

I saw film of the Wu thing market dead meat being sold plus live animals including kittens that look about 6 weeks old for the pot. Snakes being gutted whilst alive etc.
I belong to several animal charities & get emails from many more. What they do in China is beyond barbaric & haunts me. There are moments when I can't focus because my anguish is so overwhelming. Eight years ago a little girl who was returned to her abusive father & inadequate mother by a British judge who said she had never been so happy to reunite a family. That little girl died less than a year later & her story never leaves me. We live on a beautiful little green planet but the cruelty shown by humans to other living creatures tarnishes all that is lovely.

I watched Contagion the other night, though I had watched it when it first came out.

You're right, MML, as it is only a matter of time. I've been waiting for something like this for years as I freaked out over SARS and MERS. I've been told I'm barking quite a few times but I've had texts from several friends recently saying I was right all along.

I'm OCD about hygiene so have always been careful. I can't tell you how many times hygiene rules were flouted by other NHS staff when I worked for the NHS. Back then proper cleaning equipment was actually provided but rarely used either from laziness or the general feeling that a quick going over with a disposable wipe was enough. The manuals clearly stated a wipe wasn't enough. I was OCD before I started in the hospital but since I've left I'm terrified of having to go to one!

From cleaners that don't clean or worse, use the same wipe for a toilet (some of our rooms were en suite despite it being an older NHS hospital), then merrily go onto the tables and handles in the room with the same wipe. It was too much trouble to throw each one and take another or use common sense and do high germ areas last. And then there are scanners that are used inside the body. Mostly, probe covers are used (especially in endoscopy suites) but where I worked the probe "condom" was frequently not used for vaginal scans, the probe just being given a quick wipe.

I think we need to go back to basics after this. Basic hygiene and cooking taught in school. Hygiene in hospitals taken far more seriously by everyone. And the governments of the countries currently allowing animals being mixed dead/alive etc., banning them. I don't care if it's always been done, stop it now. They stopped foot binding. They now need to stop this (not to mention FGM and even male circumcision) as I strongly feel that even if something has always been done, times have changed.

under normal circumstances
There are three types of cleanliness- the normal type which should let us have a bit of dirt to build up an immune system and which I feel we have gone overboard with by not letting kids come into contact with anything which is why we have so many allergies.
The second is cleanliness in public places and workplaces which leave quite a bit to be desired and needs to be looked at
The third and most important is our hospitals which are unforgivably appalling as AE has described. When people would rather discharge early from hospital rather than risking catching something speaks volumes.

IMO this is not going away and if this passes there will be another variant along on its heels. What can we do to put pressure on government and health trusts to get it through that all the nurses and doctors in the world is like spitting in the wind if we still have dirty hospitals .

Latest posts

Back