Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Yesterday a doctor asked me if I had an alcohol dependency. What a nerve! I was simply upset because no one arranged transport for my clinic appointment. When I got there 2 hours late it turns out I didn't have an appointment at all! And so it goes on
Anyway I just had a really successful physio. First time on crutches and climbed up and down some stairs. A friend of mine wants me to do a couple of weeks in a local BUPA home which is used for recuperation post surgery and gets physios in for you. I know it will be costly but past caring and it can be my staycation. Of course stay cations aren't usually 3 bus stops away! Now off to look at stair lift rentals. Thanks for the heads up.

Yesterday a doctor asked me if I had an alcohol dependency. What a nerve! I was simply upset because no one arranged transport for my clinic appointment. When I got there 2 hours late it turns out I didn't have an appointment at all! And so it goes on
Anyway I just had a really successful physio. First time on crutches and climbed up and down some stairs. A friend of mine wants me to do a couple of weeks in a local BUPA home which is used for recuperation post surgery and gets physios in for you. I know it will be costly but past caring and it can be my staycation. Of course stay cations aren't usually 3 bus stops away! Now off to look at stair lift rentals. Thanks for the heads up.
Look at local mobility equipment suppliers Mazza. They often do stairlift rentals and because they`re local they may be able to fit one quicker than a nationwide company. It`s 16 years since I rented one for my late hubby and we only had it around 6 weeks before he became totally bedridden and then passed away and I must say the local company I used were excellent. I also hired a proper hospital bed with inflatable mattress for when he became bedridden and there isn`t much you can`t hire nowadays and for short or long term use. It isn`t cheap to hire a stairlift but if it aids mobility and enables you to stay at home then every penny will be worth it until your ankle heals properly.

Sorry to hear of your experiences, Mazza.

If it helps, you're not alone. I have a neuro condition that took 20 years of complaining about various symptoms, one of which being lack of balance. I've seen my notes and they say (by several doctors) alcoholic. My pain was all in my mind as I was depressed and I was making my depression up. Oh, and I play the victim! Yep, all there in my notes.

I paid to go to a neurologist who suggested my GP give me another MRI (I'd had one in 1993 where they suspected my now-diagnosed condition). Now I have a diagnosis. It's quite a rare thing but that in no way justifies the way I've been treated by many medical professionals over the years.

Unfortunately, you have to be proactive. Vienna's suggestion of a stairlift rental (though I think I'd put one in permanently now - just in case). If nothing else a handrail on both sides and a spare pair of crutches to keep upstairs might be an idea. I lost the use of my legs for a few months (long story) so slept on the sofa and bathed on my toilet (not ideal but as good results-wise as a shower).

Can you ask Social Services for some help? They can loan or even put things in for you - no idea if you'd need to pay, though, or how long you'd need to wait.

Just make sure you stand up for yourself. Repeat yourself politely but firmly if needs. A friend would be a great support but with Covid this might be difficult.

Keep your chin up and take care.

I’ve just had my first haircut in 5 months! She operates out of an extension in her garden

I had my own mask but she had a supply to give out. You had to wait in the car until she called you then she gave you a mask. and hand gel, no coat or bag allowed in salon. She was doing highlights on someone else but she was either a friend or family as she went into her private house in full foils before I entered.

Price had increased by approx 12% - no products just wash cut and blow dry all done in less than half an hour.

I’ve just had my first haircut in 5 months! She operates out of an extension in her garden

I had my own mask but she had a supply to give out. You had to wait in the car until she called you then she gave you a mask. and hand gel, no coat or bag allowed in salon. She was doing highlights on someone else but she was either a friend or family as she went into her private house in full foils before I entered.

Price had increased by approx 12% - no products just wash cut and blow dry all done in less than half an hour.

It sounds like a drug deal :LOL: Sit in the car get in and out and pay.

Yes I've got a hairdresser next Friday. The salon is only allowing 1 stylist per day so she is coming to me. I have masks and towels. I usually have an inverted bob but after 4 months drastic tidying up needed.😁😁

I cannot help feeling that the medical profession still clings on to attitudes and stereotypes about women which hinder diagnosis and treatment.

My mother was prescribed tranquillisers, and she had MS! I never saw her medical notes, but she was always worried she would be viewed as a drunkard because she was unsteady on her feet and prone to falling.

At some point, you would hope that women are listened to, and taken seriously at an earlier stage in any illness. I think we are getting there, but not quickly enough in my opinion.

My hair appointment is next Wednesday but I’ve got to say I’m a little bit worried because it’s just a small salon, my regular hairdresser (lovely woman) txt me last week asking do I want my usual day and time, I said yeah that’s great but she hasn’t got back with any instructions.......oh well, here goes nothin’ 😱

Mine's next Thursday, I've had a very detailed email & as my daughter went there on Saturday I know what to expect. Everything sounds the same as your experience without having to wear a mask, the stylists are cleaning for 15 minutes between each client & the stuff they're using is affecting the equipment. Prices have already gone up & they can't offer all the usual procedures. Parking is a nightmare & as it's only a 5 minutes walk from home I normally arrive after a quick run down the road. I'm not bothered about having to loiter on the pavement until I get the text to go in but doing that on a wet day in November won't be much fun!

Last edited:
I was surprised at how she had developed a technique to cut around my ears whilst I was still wearing the mask. She is mega fast at cutting anyway but she wrapped the ear tags af each side around her fingers whilst still combing and cutting all at same time .

Feels great to have the mullet away from the back, I didn’t get it cut as short as normal so made another appointment for 4 weeks so if I can’t cope it’s not too long a wait to go back to short. If I managed 5 months I reckoned I can wait a month.

Mine's next Thursday, I've had a very detailed email & as my daughter went there on Saturday I know what to expect. Everything sounds the same as your experience without having to wear a mask, the stylists are cleaning for 15 minutes between each client & the stuff they're using is already wrecking the equipment. Prices have already gone up & they can't offer all the usual procedures. Parking is a nightmare & as it's only a 5 minutes walk from home I normally arrive after a quick run down the road. I'm not bothered about having to loiter on the pavement until I get the text to go in but doing that on a wet day in November won't be much fun!
If I didn’t have the car it would have been a pain as no coat, no bag etc allowed in (where would you put it.). I had to go back out to car to get money so had to do the hand sanitizer bit again.

Yes I've got a hairdresser next Friday. The salon is only allowing 1 stylist per day so she is coming to me. I have masks and towels. I usually have an inverted bob but after 4 months drastic tidying up needed.😁😁
I usually have an inverted bob, at the moment I could pass for Lucius Malfoy.

If I didn’t have the car it would have been a pain as no coat, no bag etc allowed in (where would you put it.). I had to go back out to car to get money so had to do the hand sanitizer bit again.
Life's just going to be one long faff from now on grrrrrr.

My hair has another 2 weeks to grow before my appointment and that is 4 months since the last cut.I usually have very short hair but I want to keep some length because I would NEVER have got to this stage without the lockdown.Would have been desperate for a cut at least 8 weeks ago.Maybe a new me will emerge, hears hoping!

My hair has another 2 weeks to grow before my appointment and that is 4 months since the last cut.I usually have very short hair but I want to keep some length because I would NEVER have got to this stage without the lockdown.Would have been desperate for a cut at least 8 weeks ago.Maybe a new me will emerge, hears hoping!
We don't want a new you, just the lovely one we know with new hair.

Good to hear you sounding more positive. Did the little drinky help?;)

Sorry to hear of your experiences, Mazza.

If it helps, you're not alone. I have a neuro condition that took 20 years of complaining about various symptoms, one of which being lack of balance. I've seen my notes and they say (by several doctors) alcoholic. My pain was all in my mind as I was depressed and I was making my depression up. Oh, and I play the victim! Yep, all there in my notes.

I paid to go to a neurologist who suggested my GP give me another MRI (I'd had one in 1993 where they suspected my now-diagnosed condition). Now I have a diagnosis. It's quite a rare thing but that in no way justifies the way I've been treated by many medical professionals over the years.

Unfortunately, you have to be proactive. Vienna's suggestion of a stairlift rental (though I think I'd put one in permanently now - just in case). If nothing else a handrail on both sides and a spare pair of crutches to keep upstairs might be an idea. I lost the use of my legs for a few months (long story) so slept on the sofa and bathed on my toilet (not ideal but as good results-wise as a shower).

Can you ask Social Services for some help? They can loan or even put things in for you - no idea if you'd need to pay, though, or how long you'd need to wait.

Just make sure you stand up for yourself. Repeat yourself politely but firmly if needs. A friend would be a great support but with Covid this might be difficult.

Keep your chin up and take care.

Good you have a diagnosis now, AE. Had you not, I'd have gone along the lines of Lymes Disease given what you describe here.

I cannot help feeling that the medical profession still clings on to attitudes and stereotypes about women which hinder diagnosis and treatment.

My mother was prescribed tranquillisers, and she had MS! I never saw her medical notes, but she was always worried she would be viewed as a drunkard because she was unsteady on her feet and prone to falling.

At some point, you would hope that women are listened to, and taken seriously at an earlier stage in any illness. I think we are getting there, but not quickly enough in my opinion.
Great point, May.

Latest posts

Back