Are Birkenstock comfy to wear?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I love my Birkinstocks and find it hard to make myself put 'proper' shoes back on! I have quite flat arches and several years ago injured my football and ankle and they were the saviours of my feet. Very supportive and comfortable.

I bought my first pair last month after wanting to try some for ages -I am glad I took the plunge and ordered them but am sticking to the salina style as I am not sure I would get on with the one strap style.:clapping:

Hi Woodstock

If you go to www.footshopping.com that will take you to the baumhouse site. They have online catalogues and you will find lots of styles with more than one strap Some designs come in only limited styles so you might find a wider choice this way. They also have a bargain section that's worth a look.

Hi Woodstock

If you go to www.footshopping.com that will take you to the baumhouse site. They have online catalogues and you will find lots of styles with more than one strap Some designs come in only limited styles so you might find a wider choice this way. They also have a bargain section that's worth a look.

That was the link I posted earlier and they are indeed excellent.

I have been wearing toe post sandals for years but I was crippled in a pair of Birkistocks I bought and although I did try I could not get used to them. I bought a pair of Fitflops and they are so much more comfy for me.

Do the fit flops give the promised muscle workout? I have a couple of pairs of MBTs and I certainly feel it with them.

I have a pair which i wear as slippers around the house. The footbed thing was difficult to get used to but i cannot wear them walking for any length of time. I took them on holidays and ended up with stigmata like scars on the bridge of my feet just where the buckle crosses over!! Never again

I have several pairs and only wear normal shoes when I have to. My posture and lower back pain have improved because I can stand properly on the footbed in a way I don't seem to in shoes. I wouldn't be without mine.

I love them, and have several pairs in different styles and colours. They are my main footwear for work. I like the Gizeh (toe post) style best, but also have Arizona and Madrid, plus a couple of pairs of footbed sandals from Next, which I also find very comfy - although the footbed is not as highly profiled as the Birkenstock one. Personally, I've never had to break mine in, but they do soften up and get even more comfy after a few wears. My only problem with them is that they usually end up stinking long before they wear out, and I end up chucking them away because of that.

I'm nearly the same as you Pick-a-Lily, clogs, 2 strap, Madrids, couldn't wear any other type of shoe now, they are so comfortable. I started out with Gizeh about 7 years ago and hated them, left them in a cupbard for a year and the next summer tried again, they were amazing, I'd obviously broken them in properly after time. I have difficulty finding any shoe that fits me, I'm big foot incarnate when it comes to my feet, I'm a 41 regular -no size Clarkes will fit my feet but I can wear my Birkis with no pain whatsever, whereas before discovering Birtkenstock, fond it very difficult to to go far without extreme foot pain and that was with hush puppies and other good quality shoe.

I've seen more and more people wearing them, especially in the last week, at my opticians, lady said she couldn't wear any other shoe for work as they are so perfect. Loads of mums at school, Madrids everywhere, proper Birkis as well, not copies, I think people are realising that the orginals are the best. And generally out and about, so many women wearing them.

My hubby has a pair of shoes (no they weren't cheap @ £56 but that was in a sale, normally £98) and he wears them to work everyday and has been for nearly 5 years and walks a hell of alot in his job. I buy new insoles every now and then and the soles are still perfect and his feet don't sweat either.

I do know some people just don't get on with them at all and I feel that shows how different we can be.

I have several pairs and only wear normal shoes when I have to. My posture and lower back pain have improved because I can stand properly on the footbed in a way I don't seem to in shoes. I wouldn't be without mine.

They do a nice enough range of normal fashionable shoes with the footbed, but they are expensive:sad:

WARNING!

I bought a pair a couple of years ago. Found them crippling first day but after that not bad. They fitted like a glove...BUT...
was walking down steps to tube one day and one just slipped from under my foot. Not only did I nearly break my neck but nearly took out a fair part of the rush hour!

Since then I have only worn them round the house and garden and the same one slips - I never wear them going up or down stairs.

What scares me is that they were what I would have thought to be the perfect fit - I think they are dangerous.

I have a bunion on one foot which means that my big toe is not straight so that when I wear birkies my big toe sits on the ridge that is meant to be at the bottom of your toes IYKWIM. It was like walking around with a stone in my shoe. Only buy if you have lovely straight toes.

I love them, and have several pairs in different styles and colours. They are my main footwear for work. I like the Gizeh (toe post) style best, but also have Arizona and Madrid, plus a couple of pairs of footbed sandals from Next, which I also find very comfy - although the footbed is not as highly profiled as the Birkenstock one. Personally, I've never had to break mine in, but they do soften up and get even more comfy after a few wears. My only problem with them is that they usually end up stinking long before they wear out, and I end up chucking them away because of that.

Pick-a-Lily, I could have written this very same post. I have quite a selection of Birkenstocks and find them extremely comfortable but they certainly do not stay " fresh " smelling after a while. This is not a problem I have with any other footware and I do not have a problem with my feet so I put it down to the suede finish on these sandals. Washing them helps but not completely. This is the reason why I will not be buying anymore and I will in future buy from the wonderful and comfortable Clarks range.

I love them and have several pairs. The Footshopping.com website is very good. You have fantastic choice in different widths and they arrive very quickly and as they come from Germany, you don't have any import duties etc. TKMaxx also often has pairs at really good prices, but I suppose if you buy from QVC you can always send them back if they don't suit you.

After reading all through the Birkenstock thread - thanks for the great read girls - I was wondering if they are comfy to wear as I fancy the TSV tomorrow? I have some flyflot's which are soo comfy so was wondering if these are the same?

I'm a big flyflot fan, most comfortable footwear ever. At first I found Birkenstocks a bit hard in comparison but like they say, I wore them around the house for a few days until they moulded to my feet and I've never looked back. Now I wear FF's and Birki's and find them both very comfortable. Just don't expect them to feel as comfy as flyflots right from the off.

I have tried them but didnt find them comfy at all, I really percevered(sp) but couldnt put up with them.
Think it may be my feet though as I have a low arch or something like that :thinking2:

I am sure there are loads of folks who love them though, they are just not suitable for my feet

Lol! I'm in the 'flat-foot' gang too, Bluebell, and I didn't find them at all comfortable either. Like you, I tried and tried but in the end they went in the bin. Also, they're very hard and I think I'd prefer something with a bit more 'give'.

I have 3 rather old pairs of Madrids (haven't bought any for years - just get the sole repaired at the Birkenstock store) and they are super comfy as they are so old / worn in. My black ones feel like slippers to me now! I have narrow feet but mine are rall egular fit (which is the hollow foot print on the insole) - I found the narrow fit (filled in foot print which QVC sell) uncomfy - toe grip was in wrong place and arch felt a bit odd. I did have to break them in to begin with though - but that was due to the 'pleather' bit causing problems (bit of rubbing), not the footbed itself!

Do the fit flops give the promised muscle workout? I have a couple of pairs of MBTs and I certainly feel it with them.

I have FitFlops and MBT's vampyre and do not notice any workout with the Fitflops, they are very comfy though. The Birkenstock exercise sandal does give a workout but not a much as the MBT's. If you are a Birk fan I'd recommend giving them a go as they are really good. http://www.footshopping.com/main.cfm?wgID=900&MI=6&MID=19841

After reading all through the Birkenstock thread - thanks for the great read girls - I was wondering if they are comfy to wear as I fancy the TSV tomorrow? I have some flyflot's which are soo comfy so was wondering if these are the same?

I love my Birks and have 8 pairs, when I first bought them it took me about a month to get used to them and my feet HURT whilst doing it but once I got used to them I loved them. when I bought my 2nd pair I was worried that I'd have to go through it all again but it was no problem. It seems like it's your feet that you have to wear in not the shoe.

Funny how a couple of peeps have commented about the smell because I always used to find that a problem with other sandals but not with Birks, even the pair that I constantly wear in the house instead of slippers are free of odour. don't understand that but we're all different!

Re: smelly shoes - bread soda people, the universal cure.

(And I have learned that I should write the name of websites and not just a link.lol)

Latest posts

Back