Jilly Halliday - totally out of proportion

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Thank you, for noticing my thread was not bitchy in the least. It was purely based on my observation, and my personal opinion.
Of course every forum have members that blow everything out of proportion, which have no intention to hurt or harm. :sun:

I also appreciate your thoughts against my thread - I will learn from your opinions

I hear there are forums which thrive on utter carnage!!

I haven't got any thoughts against your thread the "and that's a big ego" comment aimed at Julia Roberts from QVC, I actually agree with you about Jilly. Sorry for the confusion xx ps sorry just read my post again, the "if you're easily offended" was aimed at the people who whilst calling your comment rude, go on to be rude themselves, it was the negative comment haters that that was aimed at, if they're easily offended shouldn't read, sorry again xx

Last edited:
I almost didn't bother getting involved with this thread but decided to air my view. I agree with Autumn that there have been other threads quite severely criticising various presenters and because of this I am at a loss to understand why the originator of this thread is coming in for so much flak. So it's OK to slaughter one presenter but not another? And if it is a presenter you don't like you will happily go along with the slaughter?

Firstly the original poster did at least post a thread for which we should be thankful because without threads a forum stagnates and maybe even dies. Secondly, it is a personal opinion of the original poster and should be respected and accepted as such. I've read some cruel things on here but in a sense there is little point in arguing with the people who have made the comments. To be sniping at other members in defence of a presenter on telly who is actually a stranger is regrettable. Also I'm afraid you've lost the argument if you criticise a post(er) for being cruel or whatever then go on to make a judgemental post of your own. Compared to other presenters I find Jilly to be 'plain' and by that I mean she doesn't wear a lot of make up or has massive hair or totters about in towering heels. Just as in real life, we all know people who are over the top and know others who are more understated. She is clearly a successful presenter.

The original poster of this thread didn't say anything out of order imo. There are people on this Forum who have said much worse things about other presenters on Q in fact some of the remarks made sound quite defamatory so why anyone is upset by this thread I don't understand.

Jilly is a pleasant presenter and one of the very few who don't irritate me. Despite what she may or may not be wearing, weighing, and what she may or may not need to have done to her hair (like cut and styled) I never turn her off.

Hi,

Long time reader of these forums, but just felt the need to add an opinion.

I think another poster has already alluded to this, but if you are fronting a shopping channel that prides itself on its fashion range then surely you have to make an effort occasionally?

And if it is a case of being very uncomfortable appearing on TV unless wearing a ridiculously baggy pair of black Charlie Chaplin like trousers, flat ballet pumps and a sparkly long tunic, then maybe you've made the wrong career choice.

And actually it also reflects very badly on Q, as they make a big deal on their fashions flattering all body shapes, yet Jilly obviously wouldn't touch any of them with a barge pole.

Welcome to the mad-house tommysmith! I know what you're saying but I think the thing about Jilly is that she seems well "normal" and I'm so used to seeing the black trousers and flats combo that I hardly notice them anymore. Some other presenters' clothing choices can be distracting.

Hi,

Long time reader of these forums, but just felt the need to add an opinion.

I think another poster has already alluded to this, but if you are fronting a shopping channel that prides itself on its fashion range then surely you have to make an effort occasionally?

And if it is a case of being very uncomfortable appearing on TV unless wearing a ridiculously baggy pair of black Charlie Chaplin like trousers, flat ballet pumps and a sparkly long tunic, then maybe you've made the wrong career choice.

And actually it also reflects very badly on Q, as they make a big deal on their fashions flattering all body shapes, yet Jilly obviously wouldn't touch any of them with a barge pole.

I think you're making a really valid point. Jilly goes on QVC flogging fashion telling us how great it is but will only wear a very narrow selection of items, JR sings the praises of various types of footwear but only wears those blooming toe-posts and JF tries to persuade us to buy loads of different nail varnishes but only wears Porchester Square. If they are selling stuff they should be a bit less limited with their own choices.

I get the impression that Jilly is genuinely nice as opposed to 'tv nice'

Maybe I just like that she doesn't seem to invent and sell her own stuff on there.

I get the impression that Jilly is genuinely nice as opposed to 'tv nice'

Maybe I just like that she doesn't seem to invent and sell her own stuff on there.

I think so too. At least she doesn't go on about her weight and latest diet she is on like some other presenters who have been criticised on here .I think she glams up enough with her sparkly tops and she sticks to what suits her.

I think the problem is the presenters have to sell so many different things and their image doesn`t always blend with whatever they`re selling at that particular time. I think all of the presenters not just Jilly can at times seem wrongly dressed/wrongly made up/too casual/too glitzy/too uneasy/too misinformed and so on. I like Jilly, she`s easy on the ears, seems genuine, makes viewing comfortable and she must remind many customers of themselves when she`s relaxed, not always admiring herself in the monitor or worried about breaking a nail or smudging her mascara. Down to Earth comes to mind and I daresay if she could, she`d tell everybody to go get their onesie, make a cuppa, wipe off their makeup, sit back, let it all hang out, chill and watch the show.

Not exactly sure how you can judge someone else for criticising a presenter when you've posted threads criticising Julia, Alison Young and Catherine in the last few weeks. Pot Kettle springs to mind.

I like Jilly and good for her for dressing exactly how she wants :)

I deal in fact. Everyone criticises EVERYBODY in this life it's a fact (even you unless you are a saint.)Vicious, disgusting posts that are untrue are different, fact. To say someone is Obese or anorexic because they have been dressed by an idiot is sticking the knife in and twisting it over and over and over again. To me they are crass and a bully. If you don't like it take up knitting and stop posting.

ok- well- i think its fair enough to comment that an item of clothing doesn't suit someone, or even say that perhaps they could try to be more "glam".
However- the title and comments - "Totally out of proportion"- is directly commenting, in a very critical way on her body shape and size - personally I think that is rude and unnecessary in any circumstances.

I think the problem is the presenters have to sell so many different things and their image doesn`t always blend with whatever they`re selling at that particular time. I think all of the presenters not just Jilly can at times seem wrongly dressed/wrongly made up/too casual/too glitzy/too uneasy/too misinformed and so on. I like Jilly, she`s easy on the ears, seems genuine, makes viewing comfortable and she must remind many customers of themselves when she`s relaxed, not always admiring herself in the monitor or worried about breaking a nail or smudging her mascara. Down to Earth comes to mind and I daresay if she could, she`d tell everybody to go get their onesie, make a cuppa, wipe off their makeup, sit back, let it all hang out, chill and watch the show.

How many of us wear off the shoulder tops a la JF?

Bit draughty down the chilled aisle Brissles! Well on one shoulder anyway. :mysmilie_19:

Bit draughty down the chilled aisle Brissles! Well on one shoulder anyway. :mysmilie_19:

Yes, its amazing who I see and give the "cold shoulder" to !!! .............. oh dear, sorry ! but the skinny legs and diving boot look does hold me up at the checkout, as I just shuffle along, hiding behind my curtain of straight hair. Of course I don't actually buy food in these establishments, its purely an exercise to see what the inside of these food palaces are like. I don't cook, wash or iron (?) I survive on the aroma of Yankee Candles, the Temple of Porchester takes care of my hands, and every product of Elemis encompasses my body. I don't move, I just sit, and only my eyes move downwards towards the nearest mirror, and I catch my breath and say 'hello' to the image I see.

(who lives in a body like this ?)

Remeber, there are no real friends on social media unless they're your friends off social media, don't let it worry you if people fall out with you for voicing your opinion because if they do, they're not worth knowing anyway, especially if you have to agree all the time. I actually agree with what you say.

Thank you shoperholic :mysmilie_504:
It is just that I think there is so much nastiness in the world out there and I did not really want to see people falling out here also :mysmilie_468:
What you said is very true and I appreciate the fact that you took time to say what you did :flower:
I don't have any friends here but so far have only met friendly comments and most of us including myself have critised almost all the presenters, some more than the others.
I mainly registered here , (after following the forum for months without registering) on the sole purpose of defending Julia, because she was critised a lot at that time and I thought she was a good presenter , and I still do..some members may not agree, but they have the freedom to do so:happy:
Much as I think Julia is a good presenter, it does not stop me from criticizing her if she was wearing some silly clothes !!
I have critised Jilly as well and said nice things about her as well in the past.
After all, this is a forum where we were supposed to have the freedom to do so as long as we are not really nasty about someone.
I think JR'sEgo was OK to say what she did, she only said what she saw .
Jilly has a wide bottom area, but she obviously feels OK with that and as long as her hubby and family are happy with that, that is fine. So she would not be offended (hopefully :) )
Jilly also has big legs but if she is OK with that, who are we to complain! JR's Ego just said what she saw.... I look at Jilly and think Rubens would have loved to paint her.
But if Jilly sits on a chair and cannot be bothered to get up to show items , I will critice her because as a presenter she is expected to do so by the viewers (unless she has a problem healthwise and is unable to do so)
shopperholic, this is for you
hug.gif

Thank you shoperholic :mysmilie_504:
It is just that I think there is so much nastiness in the world out there and I did not really want to see people falling out here also :mysmilie_468:
What you said is very true and I appreciate the fact that you took time to say what you did :flower:
I don't have any friends here but so far have only met friendly comments and most of us including myself have critised almost all the presenters, some more than the others.
I mainly registered here , (after following the forum for months without registering) on the sole purpose of defending Julia, because she was critised a lot at that time and I thought she was a good presenter , and I still do..some members may not agree, but they have the freedom to do so:happy:
Much as I think Julia is a good presenter, it does not stop me from criticizing her if she was wearing some silly clothes !!
I have critised Jilly as well and said nice things about her as well in the past.
After all, this is a forum where we were supposed to have the freedom to do so as long as we are not really nasty about someone.
I think JR'sEgo was OK to say what she did, she only said what she saw .
Jilly has a wide bottom area, but she obviously feels OK with that and as long as her hubby and family are happy with that, that is fine. So she would not be offended (hopefully :) )
Jilly also has big legs but if she is OK with that, who are we to complain! JR's Ego just said what she saw.... I look at Jilly and think Rubens would have loved to paint her.
But if Jilly sits on a chair and cannot be bothered to get up to show items , I will critice her because as a presenter she is expected to do so by the viewers (unless she has a problem healthwise and is unable to do so)
shopperholic, this is for you
hug.gif

Everyone will critisize someone or something at some time in their life and people who say they don't are liars, some say you shouldn't critisize on forums, but isn't that what they're for, to blow off a bit of steam? Doesn't make you a bad person because you have a negative comment, especially if that negative comment is true. There are too many sensitive people on public forums that take things to heart and personally which is silly, especially when the posters comment can be taken out of context, a true friend will listen and accept it if your opinion differs to theirs and that's what I say, there are no real friends on fb or forums, unless they're your friend off fb and forums and you can ring them for a chat. Thanks for me hug :mysmilie_508:

Latest posts

Back