Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

So (just a yes or no will do) did you know about the safety button?

Yes, because if it’s not sealed the safety button isn’t depressed. It makes a “pop” sound when you open the jar.

With tins, blown or dented ones should be avoided as well.

But for the record, I personally wouldn‘t eat out of date/best before/use by food even if it was in a jar or tin, but we’re all different. 😉

Can I do a straw poll?

OH didn't know there was a safety button on the lids of food jars, because she'd never noticed and read the tiny print on the lid. This is usually printed in a circle around the button, and many people would need a magnifying glass to read it.

Yes

Can I do a straw poll?

OH didn't know there was a safety button on the lids of food jars, because she'd never noticed and read the tiny print on the lid. This is usually printed in a circle around the button, and many people would need a magnifying glass to read it.

Yes.

I've always known about the safety button. I'm your total opposite Strato, completely paranoid about dates on the few processed or tinned foods I eat, never buy a dented tin & stock rotate everything on the shelves when new stuff is bought. All that effort & I got severe food poisoning after eating contaminated olives courtesy of the supermarket with orange bags :sick:

A little history lesson on tinned food. Well, sort of.

Back in 1845 Franklin and his crew of two ships went off to find the North West Passage. They had the wonder of the new way of preserving food for what was to be a very long journey. They disappeared, and it was two years before anyone went looking for them. I mean they had the latest tinned food as well as fresh fruit etc. Back in the 1980s they dug up three of the crew who had died early on before the ships got stuck in the ice. Thawed them out and all had very high levels of lead in their bodies and also TB. So the theory was the crew were being poisoned by their own tinned food. They found tins lying around of the island which showed the solder was defective and the food would have actually gone off. The Inuit did tell stories to the first expedition who went looking for them two years later that the white men went mad wandering around and yes, they did eat each other. Bones were found with the marrow gone, so they were reduced to sucking the marrow from the bones.

Next Thursday on BBC2 The Terror is being shown. That is the name of one of the ships, it is part horror story with loads of actual history of the tinned food they were eating turning on them. Brilliant series based on Dan Simmonds book which is nearly 1000 pages long.

In Banbridge here in Northern Ireland there is a very large monument with polar bears for Francis Crozier born in Banbridge and disappeared on the Franklin expedition.

A little history lesson on tinned food. Well, sort of.

Back in 1845 Franklin and his crew of two ships went off to find the North West Passage. They had the wonder of the new way of preserving food for what was to be a very long journey. They disappeared, and it was two years before anyone went looking for them. I mean they had the latest tinned food as well as fresh fruit etc. Back in the 1980s they dug up three of the crew who had died early on before the ships got stuck in the ice. Thawed them out and all had very high levels of lead in their bodies and also TB. So the theory was the crew were being poisoned by their own tinned food. They found tins lying around of the island which showed the solder was defective and the food would have actually gone off. The Inuit did tell stories to the first expedition who went looking for them two years later that the white men went mad wandering around and yes, they did eat each other. Bones were found with the marrow gone, so they were reduced to sucking the marrow from the bones.

Next Thursday on BBC2 The Terror is being shown. That is the name of one of the ships, it is part horror story with loads of actual history of the tinned food they were eating turning on them. Brilliant series based on Dan Simmonds book which is nearly 1000 pages long.

In Banbridge here in Northern Ireland there is a very large monument with polar bears for Francis Crozier born in Banbridge and disappeared on the Franklin expedition.
How interesting, in a gruesome way. I shall watch the programme, thanks for the information.

My ideal kitchen

Nostalgia kitchen hi-fi 153884156_1.jpg

That thing on the floor on the left is the woofer, the stereo speakers are mounted on the wall in the corners (so are mine, but not in the kitchen).

Can I do a straw poll?

Yes. I always check the tops of jars when I (used to) shop at the supermarket.

One of our suppliers, Crown Cork, did a talk where I worked (not my department but I was interested as my mum kept a huge pantry). Dented tins are fine as long as they can't be depressed like the button in the top of a jar. If a tin has either/both ends bulging out throw it as it won't be safe.

I follow my mum (a young woman during the war) and stockpile. We live in a rural area and risk getting snowed in every winter so a good stockpile is common sense (though I go a bit OTT). Some of my mum's stuff were war survivors! Tins of dried egg comes to mind. Her old pantry was a joy to peruse, though some here would shudder at the age of some of her cans - they pre-dated BBE dates. I just finished a can of soup that had somehow missed my rotations. It was BBE 2006 and was fine. I'm about to use the last of my 2015 stock now.

Do you rotate your stock when you buy offers, Strato?

Mr AE worked with an ex-milkman who would dump milk down the drain on the day the date expired even if it was perfectly good. That's a crime in my book! If it doesn't smell off or go lumpy it's fine. WTF did people do before they milk was date-stamped? They used their nose and their common sense. Though common sense seems to be going the way of the dinosaurs these days.

I am annoyed at Tesco, though. I've never had a problem with milk going off before the date before I was shielding and relying on deliveries but I've had milk delivered twice in the last 6 months that's gone off a few days before date - which tells me they're not storing it properly.

Do you rotate your stock when you buy offers, Strato?

No, that's why I've ended up with old ones.

But I've always written the dates that I buy them on all my food, where practicable.

But my latest resolution is to make a stocklist of everything in my fridge and freezer, stick it on the door, and keep it updated.

I have become very squeamish about what I watch. I will pass on this.
I think the best way I can describe what I choose to watch is "marshmallow" TV 🤪
I agree, my description is 'I only do pretty'. I watch repeats of Morse, Lewis & Endeavour but only because I know the plots so well & can avoid the few grotty bits.

I'm a bit of a strato. If it's in my cupboard I'll eat it. I had to cut the mould off the cheese the other day to make my cheese on toast. I'm still alive. I am also eating up the last of my stockpiled from last year goods. The only thing that doesn't go out of date in our house is the wine 🧀🍷🍷

CC

I agree, my description is 'I only do pretty'. I watch repeats of Morse, Lewis & Endeavour but only because I know the plots so well & can avoid the few grotty bits.
If there is some new program with words like "tense, thriller, shocking..." used to describe it, I am going "thank you, next".
No to the news too. I've had to politely tell a friend I refuse to discuss anything Trump related as well. Pooch Perfect, The Repair Shop, Marple, Poirot, Doc Martin. I don't switch off easily, suffer from insomnia...so need calm time before bed.

Latest posts

Back