Blimey Dame Joan!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Julia can fawn with the best of them... she probably assumed because she gets on like a house on fire with the ultimate diva Simon Wilson that it would be plain sailing for her with Joan Collins.

Every time Joan is on with Jill Franks it seems like they gel well together. Joan is also good when on with Pipa.

I like Joan Collins' work ethic, and agree with her that retiring isn't necessary or even a good thing if you are fit and healthy and enjoy what you do.

I think Lady Joan was a film role she had donkeys' years ago, but it's still a bit self-indulgent. Nice lippies though.

Being called "Sir" sounds so much better than "dame" don't you think? To me it just makes me think of Widow Twanky or a disturbing Lily Savage/Les Dawson hybrid.

"Dame" or "Lady" both equally meaningless to me. She named one of her lippies "Lady joan" didn't she. Silly woman, full of her own self-importance. I feel a bit sorry for Julia TBH but I'm sure it was just water off a duck's back.

Wiki:
On 24 January 2010, it was announced that Collins was joining the German soap opera Verbotene Liebe (Forbidden Love) for a short run. She played an aristocratic British woman, Lady Joan, who takes a young prince, portrayed by German actor Stephan Kaefer (Stephan Käfer), in tow. Collins started shooting on 22 February 2010 and appeared on-screen in April 2010.[21]

Quite a hunk, lucky Joan!

Thanks, that answers the reason for the choice of name, but why the disdain for Julia and correcting her in such a rude manner? Unless she was self-deprecating in which case all is forgiven! (I didn't actually see the show)

I know there are 'haves' and 'have nots', but if a work ethic comprises picking out which wig to wear for yet another glamming up session for most of your life, then life aint been too hard for her. Loads of husbands, 4th rate film roles and a damehood at the end, great work ethic !

Dame Agatha Christie
Dame Margaret Rutherford
Dame Daphne du Maurier
Dame Edith Evans
Dame Margot Fonteine
Dame Peggy Ashcroft
Dame Wendy Hiller
Dame Vera Lynn
Dame Celia Johnson
Dame Kiri Te Kanawa
Dame Maggie Smith
Dame Judi Dench
Dame Helen Mirren
Dame Mary Peters
Dame Beryl Bainbridge
Dame Julie Andrews

Just my personal opinion and matter of choice, but to me Windsor & Collins - and a few others don't really cut the mustard in the company of the above.

I watched the show and didn't think Joan was rude, she was just expressing views and opinions that differed to Julia's.

This sounds like a must-watch show. When was it on?

Apparently JC is supposed to be quite nice. One of my colleagues has interviewed her many times. There was that famous interview with the Australian journalist with whom she didn't get on at all - but actually I think she came across as witty and fun. If anything it seemed as though he had a problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHRRI2eeDSo

I know there are 'haves' and 'have nots', but if a work ethic comprises picking out which wig to wear for yet another glamming up session for most of your life, then life aint been too hard for her. Loads of husbands, 4th rate film roles and a damehood at the end, great work ethic !

Dame Agatha Christie
Dame Margaret Rutherford
Dame Daphne du Maurier
Dame Edith Evans
Dame Margot Fonteine
Dame Peggy Ashcroft
Dame Wendy Hiller
Dame Vera Lynn
Dame Celia Johnson
Dame Kiri Te Kanawa
Dame Maggie Smith
Dame Judi Dench
Dame Helen Mirren
Dame Mary Peters
Dame Beryl Bainbridge
Dame Julie Andrews

Just my personal opinion and matter of choice, but to me Windsor & Collins - and a few others don't really cut the mustard in the company of the above.
Joan received her Damehood for charity work, not acting.

I know ! its been publicised so much that I cant see anyone NOT knowing that. According to the website these are the ones listed she's 'involved' with - blimey, almost on a par with the Queen ! the cynic in me says she's working her way through the alphabet !

AIDS LIFE
Alzheimer's Association
Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes
Barnardo's
BID 2 BEAT AIDS
Caudwell Children

Elton John AIDS Foundation
Feed the Children
Fight for Sight
National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children
Shooting Star Children's Hospice
Small Steps Project

I don't think Dame Joanie suffers fools gladly ...

Her range is being put out on (or already has) the dreaded high street - will be good to see the products and smell the perfumes without involving QVC!

I know ! its been publicised so much that I cant see anyone NOT knowing that. According to the website these are the ones listed she's 'involved' with - blimey, almost on a par with the Queen ! the cynic in me says she's working her way through the alphabet !

AIDS LIFE
Alzheimer's Association
Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes
Barnardo's
BID 2 BEAT AIDS
Caudwell Children

Elton John AIDS Foundation
Feed the Children
Fight for Sight
National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children
Shooting Star Children's Hospice
Small Steps Project

charity work for me actually means work. Whilst I know that Hollywood celebs put on a fundraiser to other celebs who will pay '000 dollars for a plate at a charity dinner but that is petty cash to them and I wonder how many of them even know the name of the charity the do was for? Great to raise big money but IMO the person who stands unpaid every week in the charity shop, man a soup kitchen on a winter night, those who give a carer a break et. etc. are the true charity workers. Doubt they will get a damehood.

I don't think Dame Joanie suffers fools gladly ...

Her range is being put out on (or already has) the dreaded high street - will be good to see the products and smell the perfumes without involving QVC!

Do you know where on the high street please ?

RE Brissles list above.... Dame Celia Johnson was a true movie star, even now, I can't watch Brief Encounter without a tear in my eye at the end......pure class.

Do you know where on the high street please ?

RE Brissles list above.... Dame Celia Johnson was a true movie star, even now, I can't watch Brief Encounter without a tear in my eye at the end......pure class.

M&S are supposed to be stocking it but my store (quite a large one) doesn't have anything. They were also supposed to have Clauda Wilkenman eye and hair products but other than an empty makeup bag zilch!

Well said, brissles. Quitting while ahead is still good advice. The key is knowing when to go.
Some people never know when to 'give up', they've had the glory and start to become a caricature of themselves which is sad sight. D/Joan should retire with her make up bag to the south of France, and AT LAST we see the back of D/Barbara Windsor, she who decided she was Mrs Eastenders ! (no Babs, no one person is bigger than the show) - all these 'national treasures' created by the media make me a bit nauseous.

Well said, brissles. Quitting while ahead is still good advice. The key is knowing when to go.

Have they killed her off in Eastenders? Don't watch it but have it in my head that she left once (several?) times before.

Never say never! Just wait until the Bingo money runs out. Hated all the carry on films not my type of humour, slapstick , childish double meanings.

I saw JC on tv once, airing her nasty views on obesity. Such a cow! I went right off her at that point.

A colleague of mine interviewed her recently about her numerous complaints to Westminster Council about a puddle outside her West London home. She wants them to fill in a pothole as she keeps getting splashed when her taxi comes to pick her up. Well Joan, why don't you step outside when the taxi has come to a halt, or wait somewhere else?

I wonder just how much these Dames/Sirs do for charity to be honest other than associate their names with the various organisations? I have just done a 5k Bubble Run (mine was more of a power walk at my age!) in aid of a local Hospice and feel more than happy to have participated to help raise funds, etc. but I feel sure that many of these "celebrities" use their names to add kudos without actually doing anything else worthwhile. However, I stand to be corrected should our informed/experienced members know better!

I wonder just how much these Dames/Sirs do for charity to be honest other than associate their names with the various organisations? I have just done a 5k Bubble Run (mine was more of a power walk at my age!) in aid of a local Hospice and feel more than happy to have participated to help raise funds, etc. but I feel sure that many of these "celebrities" use their names to add kudos without actually doing anything else worthwhile. However, I stand to be corrected should our informed/experienced members know better!

Congratulations, BL. I take my hat off to anyone who does a fun run or anything else to help charities like you have. It's easy to throw some money in a pot, especially if you have a lot to spare, but people who make an effort like you have are special.

Latest posts

Back