Claudia has left QVC

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

goddess

Registered Shopper
Just read her blog on the QVC website.

She say's she's leaving to devote more time to her family and she'll be relieved not to have to juggle work and finding chilcare for her 4 children.
At the same time that Claudia's blog was posted a message appeared on Sara G's page to say that as she's not appearing on screen at thea moment, her blog is being removed.

Personally I think that as these presenters have both had their babies a year ago and have yet returned to work, QVC may have made a decision for them.

She say's she's leaving to devote more time to her family and she'll be relieved not to have to juggle work and finding chilcare for her 4 children.
At the same time that Claudia's blog was posted a message appeared on Sara G's page to say that as she's not appearing on screen at thea moment, her blog is being removed.

Personally I think that as these presenters have both had their babies a year ago and have yet returned to work, QVC may have made a decision for them.

It would appear so considering they've brought in the newbies, Carmel and Anna (oh and not forgetting Miceal!).

they wouldnt be the first women to string their employers along that they were intending to come back after maternity leave. would they?

There is also a message from QVC on Sara G's blog

"We would like to let you know that we will be taking down Sara G's blog for the time being. Although Sara is still very much involved with QVC behind the scenes and internationally, she is spending more time with her family and so cannot blog as regularly as the other presenters. We hope to see her back on our screens in the future and wish her well with her home life and other projects that she is involved with.

Thanks, QVC"

I would much, much prefer to have Claudia and Sara than the two new ones, neither of whom impresses me. But I fully understand why mothers would prefer to spend time with their families.

I would much, much prefer to have Claudia and Sara than the two new ones, neither of whom impresses me. But I fully understand why mothers would prefer to spend time with their families.

I agree, I liked both Claudia and Sara and sad that they have decided to leave, not that I blame them....

I read Claudia's blog recently and she said she was not sure when she was coming back. As you say looks as if a decision has been made for them.

they wouldnt be the first women to string their employers along that they were intending to come back after maternity leave. would they?

Its not illegal to decide you love your child more than your job. What a spiteful thing to say.

QVC cannot just make the decision for them. They will both have been on maternity leave and there are legal requirements on both sides about returning to work. The presenters are just employees like anyone else.

I thought presenters were self employed or on short term contracts?

J xx

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. The presenters are self-employed freelancers on contract. They often have longer maternity leaves than other employees might. And, of course, they do not have the same employment protection as other employees. Their situation can't really be compared to others'. I expect both of them probably chose to spend time with their families for the best of reasons. Whether they choose to go straight back to work, never return or something inbetween is entirely their concern.

Even if they're on contracts they're still entitled to maternity leave and pay. They're highly unlikely to be self employed simply because of the employment law and tax implications for QVC but they could be. The fact these annoucements have been made a year on implies that the girls have been on maternity leave, which would mean they are employees ... contract or permies.

I will miss Claudia and Sara. For whatever their personal reasons they have left I wish them both well. Spending time with your children is so important, you can't get that time back. I feel sorry for Mums (and Dads!) when they can't afford financially to be at home, so many can't and that is sad.

Good luck ladies!

Inge xx

Having children especially your first is a real leap into the unknown, you simply cannot predicate how you are going to feel and plans that you made during the preganancy may no longer be feasible or practical due to many factors: health of baby, health of parent( i was unwell after I had my son), change in relationship (my husband left when our son was 7 months old), there may have been changes in the workplace that will not fit in with your new life etc etc.

I will miss both Claudia and Sarah, they did not shriek and squawk like some of them, I wish them both well with their families

My understanding is that being self employed does entitle you to maternity pay (because this is paid by the government). However, I would assume that unless you were mid-contract for the entire time you were taking your maternity leave, this would complicate matters. I could be wrong. I am not an employment lawyer.

so its never happened that a woman has gone on maternity leave on the pretence that they'll be returning when all theyre really doing is taking the cash and keeping their options open? get real girls.

My understanding is that being self employed does entitle you to maternity pay (because this is paid by the government). However, I would assume that unless you were mid-contract for the entire time you were taking your maternity leave, this would complicate matters. I could be wrong. I am not an employment lawyer.
If you're self employed you don't get maternity leave but you do get maternity leave. If you're on a contract then provided you've been employed on that contract for more than something like six months then you're entitled to maternity leave and pay from your employer. It's a bit more complicated in terms of how many weeks you've worked by the time you're x weeks pregnant.

I'm no expert either but I do deal with employment issues for my sins.

There are legal requirements that would probably prevent QVC presenters from being long term self employed if the main/only source of income was QVC.

Latest posts

Back