Do you tell the truth?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Weird, isn't it? I would mention QVC without worrying, but shopping from a catalogue is something I would not want to mention. Don't even know why, but I suspect it's because my mother is the same and it's ingrained in me!

Weird, isn't it? I would mention QVC without worrying, but shopping from a catalogue is something I would not want to mention. Don't even know why, but I suspect it's because my mother is the same and it's ingrained in me!

Maybe because catalogues were always famous for giving credit? "just £1.33 a week for 150 weeks" etc

I have no problem telling people if they ask. I was introduced to QVC by a really stylish savvy friend of mine so if it's good enough for her. I mainly buy skincare and jewellery and somehow people don't tend to ask where I've bought it from but if they do then I'm happy to tell them.

I also own up to my diamonique being a "bit of glass". I know lots of peeps dodge the "is it real" question but I'm happy to say exactly what it is.

I honestly can't see why folk would be ashamed of admitting buying from QVC. It's not as if it's cheap to buy from them I see no difference to buying from any internet site or catalogue. I am wary of admitting just how much I used to buy but have turned over a new leaf and have stopped buying so much.

I do admit to buying from Le Q but I always feel the need to quickly follow it up with an explanation of my actions, going something like - "they do all the top brands you know and you get to see how to use it too, and you can send it back if you change your mind".

Couldn't care less what people think. Its my money. All my family know I buy from QVC & over the years I have had my leg pulled over it but then on the other hand DH has had to admit we have had some good stuff off them. That was in the earlier days mind you.

All of my family know about me and Q,although I am sure they think I am having a parcel delivered every day,I really do not order a lot now as it did get out of hand when I started buying things from q in America when on holiday,my OH knew as soon as he saw the UPS van. For some reason like other posters I only admit to buying cosmetics I recently purchased a beautiful necklace from Nour Jewellery on Q have only worn it once but 8 strangers asked me where I brought it from,I told them all it was from a small boutique.I think because sometime ago someone admired a ring I was wearing and when I said qvc their face dropped a mile.
Lynn

As I only ever buy from Q's web site I just say that it I brought it on line.
Not lying but not telling the whole truth.
Edited to say that it is now OVER a year since I brought any thing from them and I am still standing, my postman/binman/teacher all survived with out getting a Christmas present from Q and my bank balance is so much stronger.
Karen

Last edited:
My hubby and teenagers do make fun of my love of QVC,so it has made me a bit self conscious about telling people.

I'm normally really vague and just say internet.Thats not wholly about QVC though,as I do have other stuff that people have commented on....and I don't want them to go out and get the same thing!!

I have given elemis as presents that clearly have the QVC logo on the box,and the same with NN so I guess its not a secret to those people.

The people I do occasionally mention QVC to either a) slag it off or b) don't have a clue what I'm talking about.....so I find it best just to keep quiet!!

I don't mind telling people I bought it from QVC, doesn't bother me what they think. In fact I know one or two who now also buy, especially Diamonique and cosmetics, from liking what they've seen.

I pop into Waitrose every now and again, never to do a main shop, but to treat myself to one or two things they do that the others don't. I always go armed with my Tesco "bag for life", but I might have to get a Waitrose one now after reading posts..:rock:

I always feel quite proud of my QVC purchases ! I have acquired a lot over the last three years but I'm much more careful and discriminating about what I buy now. I certainly tell people if they should ask me where I got them.
As others have mentioned , some of my earlier purchases have turned out to be something of an investment as the prices have gone up. Even some sterling silver jewellery is more expensive now. I feel as if I'm now cured of my QVC addiction although I do enjoy watching some of the shows that interest me. Perhaps the 'addictive phase ' lasts only a limited time before it burns itself out .

I think you're right shopping jenny....my addictive phase lasted about 5 years during which time I bought loads, mostly jewellery when gold was much more affordable.
At first I was really chuffed at finding really nice pieces at good prices, so that when anyone asked where I had bought them I proudly declared QVC! Only to be met with "where?"or "Oh really"....either way people seemed anywhere from distinctively underwhelmed to distainful...so I stopped telling the truth and answered 'from a little local craft jeweller" or "from the Lanes in (nearby Brighton)." Then I was met with admiring oohs and aahs for exactly the same bits of stuff!
Snobbery knows no bounds I guess and maybe I fuelled it with my take on the truth (downright lies) but for better or worse I care what people think. Anyway I am over the addictive phase now and my last purchase was a Gtech sweeper six months ago. (From John Lewis really you understand....)

it's never crossed my mind not to say i got it from qvc and i've never had any disdainful looks. in fact the opposite, people seem quite interested and ask me about it. mind you, the things i've had admired wouldn't go down very well on this forum ;)

a dennis basso coat - had it donkeys years and still wear and still get comments (had no idea about the fur trade thing)

a kim&co skirt - ditto

kirks folly.

I always say if it is from Q cos I don't care about what other people think. it's my money and my choice. Have been teased and mocked but as I said if I am happy with my purchase(s) that is all that matters. Agree about the addiction phase burning itself out, I hardly buy anything now, but do still watch it. In fact it is on as I type this and it is "Women with Control" hideous and hilarious in equal measure.

Maybe because catalogues were always famous for giving credit? "just £1.33 a week for 150 weeks" etc

yep, I think you might have hit the nail on the head, Burlz. Probably never occurred to my mother that you didn't HAVE to use the credit! Nor me! But then I am hardly one to talk - offer me easy pays and I become a drooling mess. Pathetic really, if I turn my nose up at the 150 weeks notion in catalogues

I do admit to buying from Le Q but I always feel the need to quickly follow it up with an explanation of my actions, going something like - "they do all the top brands you know and you get to see how to use it too, and you can send it back if you change your mind".

I am exactly the same I feel I must explain that they are not just like JML; but my QVC addiction is a bit of a standing joke at work, my boss's Auntie is an incredible addict..and my boss admitted to buying one of those posh mixers from IW!!!! I have sold people onto Northern Nights though so at least the people I manage sleep well..except they can't always get our of bed on time it seems :tongue:

..and they knock the VAT off, unlike many other large companies who should...

I was horribly shocked the other day at my knowledge of TV's, all of which I must have subliminally gleaned from QVC as I don't watch their electronics shows much as they are boring, but I have it on in the background!

Jenny I also agree the addiction burns out, but it gets me now and then, but not nearly as much as it used to..and the craft has gone to pot. It's mid Jan and I've not bought anything yet, unthinkable a couple of years back!

(ace thread topic by the way)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back