It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas......

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm still in my fleece dressing gown, don't want to undress! Bathroom is freezing! Yes I have a slanket and I think I'll spend this morning under it in the back room where the gas fire is on!! Brrrrrrrrrr!

It's ****** cold here I can tell you - our boiler packed up last night! My two have gone off to work and I'm in here freezing! Trying to get hold of someone who can come and sort it QUICKLY!

Edit - just had a call from OH, managed to contact a mate of his who's coming to see us this afternoon - thank God!

Snap! Sort of. Our oil ran out last night. OH has been saying for the past week that he was going to check the tank, which of course he didn't! I have just phoned the oil company and they can't deliver until tomorrow. Its blimmin cold here and has been snowing very lightly all morning - the first we have had all year. Happy days!

Snap! Sort of. Our oil ran out last night. OH has been saying for the past week that he was going to check the tank, which of course he didn't! I have just phoned the oil company and they can't deliver until tomorrow. Its blimmin cold here and has been snowing very lightly all morning - the first we have had all year. Happy days!

Ooh Itchy, are we shivering together..?! Hope the oil arrives on schedule tomorrow and hope you've got some sort of heat meantime..!

what it is to have contacts eh carol? hope he can get it going!

itchy - you're lucky you don't have to wait too long - takes 2 weeks to get oil here! oh and the good news is, it doesn't hurt the boiler. it just needs to be relit.

Ooh Itchy, are we shivering together..?! Hope the oil arrives on schedule tomorrow and hope you've got some sort of heat meantime..!

If OH had checked the tank, he would have realised we were so low and we could have ordered before it ran out! grrr He might be cooking his own dinner tonight.

We have an open fire in the lounge, and thats it. The bathroom and bedrooms are like an ice box. Luckily I have a slanket, a small comfort.

janie[B said:
]what it is to have contacts eh carol? hope he can get it going![/B]

itchy - you're lucky you don't have to wait too long - takes 2 weeks to get oil here! oh and the good news is, it doesn't hurt the boiler. it just needs to be relit.

he told OH it sounded like the PCB had gone - as it happens we have a spare which he might be able to use, tho he's bound to have some on his van. He came out to it last time, which was 5 or 6 years ago..what with that and me OH has two old boilers...! :giggle:

If OH had checked the tank, he would have realised we were so low and we could have ordered before it ran out! grrr He might be cooking his own dinner tonight.

We have an open fire in the lounge, and thats it. The bathroom and bedrooms are like an ice box. Luckily I have a slanket, a small comfort.[/QUOTE]

If I were you I'd be sleeping on the sofa in front of that open fire tonight Itchy, and toasting bread on it for tomorrow's breakfast! I do love an open fire but we've not had one in nearly 40 years.

what it is to have contacts eh carol? hope he can get it going!

Oh bless you Janie, but we have been here many times in the past. I have lost count of the times we have run out and had a lock-out on the boiler. After delivery, OH is an expert at re-starting it. You would think he would have learnt to be more vigilant about checking it. I can't get up to 'dip the tank'. Anyway, silent treatment for him!

Yes I suppose we are lucky that delivery is quick, but 90 percent of the homes around here have oil central heating. There is no gas here, or even in Galway city, so there are oil companies all over the place. We had gas in all my houses in the UK and I do miss it. Off to find some woolly socks!

he told OH it sounded like the PCB had gone - as it happens we have a spare which he might be able to use, tho he's bound to have some on his van. He came out to it last time, which was 5 or 6 years ago..what with that and me OH has two old boilers...! :giggle:

We have an open fire in the lounge, and thats it. The bathroom and bedrooms are like an ice box. Luckily I have a slanket, a small comfort.

If I were you I'd be sleeping on the sofa in front of that open fire tonight Itchy, and toasting bread on it for tomorrow's breakfast! I do love an open fire but we've not had one in nearly 40 years.[/QUOTE]

Yes they are lovely Carol, but I am sitting here looking at the ashes from last nights' fire thinking its such a pain taking them out. Then going in and out to the coal bunker is a pain in the cold weather. I am off sick from college today and feeling sorry for myself.

[/B]
If I were you I'd be sleeping on the sofa in front of that open fire tonight Itchy, and toasting bread on it for tomorrow's breakfast! I do love an open fire but we've not had one in nearly 40 years.

Yes they are lovely Carol, but I am sitting here looking at the ashes from last nights' fire thinking its such a pain taking them out. Then going in and out to the coal bunker is a pain in the cold weather. I am off sick from college today and feeling sorry for myself.[/QUOTE]

oh dear, nothing serious I hope... we used to have an all-night burner, just opened it up in the morning and bingo a lovely fire - still got to take the ashes up mind you!

No, no, no! It's snowing here!

for once in this benighted week we have sunshine!

Oh bless you Janie, but we have been here many times in the past. I have lost count of the times we have run out and had a lock-out on the boiler. After delivery, OH is an expert at re-starting it. You would think he would have learnt to be more vigilant about checking it. I can't get up to 'dip the tank'. Anyway, silent treatment for him!

Yes I suppose we are lucky that delivery is quick, but 90 percent of the homes around here have oil central heating. There is no gas here, or even in Galway city, so there are oil companies all over the place. We had gas in all my houses in the UK and I do miss it. Off to find some woolly socks!

i've got a transparent tube thing on the end of my tank so i just keep an eye on that. it's a bit manky and my boiler man said he'll replace it. maybe you could have one installed? they also do some electronic thingy that you have indoors that monitors the level and beeps you when it gets low - i think it can even beep the company and tell them to replace it but i'd think with the price these days, they'd check first! got mine last month - not empty - £850

i'd be in front of the fire with the duvet and the toast too ;)

i've got a transparent tube thing on the end of my tank so i just keep an eye on that. it's a bit manky and my boiler man said he'll replace it. maybe you could have one installed? they also do some electronic thingy that you have indoors that monitors the level and beeps you when it gets low - i think it can even beep the company and tell them to replace it but i'd think with the price these days, they'd check first! got mine last month - not empty - £850

i'd be in front of the fire with the duvet and the toast too ;)

I will ask (kick) the old man when he gets home and tell him we really should get some kind of oil monitor, I am fed up with running out. £850 sounds insane! I thought ours was bad. Its usually about 790 euros for a full tank, although its usually a bit lower in the summer.

We had a new oil tank fitted about two years ago, it replaced one with the transparent tube. We had to move it because of the regulations now (it had to be further from the house. The new tank has got one of those things you plug in indoors and it shows how much oil you've got left (not in litres but if it's half full etc). A light goes on when it gets low. I didn't realise you could let it empty.

We've got a problem with our central heating too, downstairs heats up well but upstairs only the bathroom heats up. Hubby has bled all the radiators several times, turned off all the downstairs radiators to see if that would make the upstairs ones work but it didn't. Trying to think what to do next lol. We are lucky that we live in a chalet bungalow and our bedroom is downstairs and we don't use the upsairs much apart from one of the bedrooms that I use as a craft room.

Last edited:
we've got sunshime here...............but it's still snowing! Not sticking though ( at the moment) and not as cold. The horrible wind has died down as well.

Hope those of you without heat get it sorted as soon as possible.

I'm off to do the school run now to pick up my grand son, calling at Argos to pick up my reserved space bags so I can have a tidy out tomorrow.

praise be - my radiators are warm! Had to wait till about 4.30 but no complaints, he'd done a day's work before coming to us and OH gave him a good tip so we can call on him again..! I'm slowly warming up, hoping to cast off a layer or two of clothing over the next hour..!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not pleasant

The last photo is of our oil tank which is elevated on a 3 foot wall

Good grief Jabba, that is indeed horrendous! Have they sorted out your electricity now?

praise be - my radiators are warm! Had to wait till about 4.30 but no complaints, he'd done a day's work before coming to us and OH gave him a good tip so we can call on him again..! I'm slowly warming up, hoping to cast off a layer or two of clothing over the next hour..!

Thats great, lovely to get warm again. We are very cold here. I have got the open fire going in the lounge and i forgot that we have an electric radiator, so 22 has that on in the den where he is huddled over his computer. The rest of the house is freezing. The oil will come tomorow, but we will have to wait for OH to get home to bleed the boiler before we can put the heating on. Definitely hot water bottles tonight!

I know it's not ideal, but before the days of central heating if there was no power, I use leave the oven on low with the door open, it helped keep the chill off.

Latest posts

Back