Presenters on the shopping channel merry-go-round

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

T

tristar

Guest Shopper
Iv just been looking on wikipedia. I could not believe how many presenters on QVc have also been on the other shopping channels before they did QVC. Chloe everton came up a few times, think on the list of ex Jewellery channel or was it Bid. Simon Biagai had done either bid or Ideal, Debbie Flint as we know has done Ideal and Bid!! Carmel Thomas had done Bid!!! did anyone know that? I just dont get why QVC choose a presenter who has been on these channels, I mean they may have experience of shopping tv but is working on Bid, the type of thing QVC would want? Im amazed at the number of them that just spend their life moving from one to another, Their brains must be like sponge, awash with item numbers and prices and phone numbers! I would never have guessed the shrinking violet that is Carmel had done the shouting over on the auction channels.

Our newest Chloe has done Bid. Seems QVC want pushy presenters from either Ideal or Jewellery channel or Bid. If you just look at the presenters list on wikipedia for the channels and then scroll doen to presenetsr, it also lists ex presenters, Im sure, like me you will be very surprised at the lists. As someone who did not watch Bid or TJC till recently, I wasnt aware of this. Iv only scratheched the surface, so many more on the shopping channel Merry go round.

Not particularly a surprise , its only like a butcher working in Salisbury to then go on to work in Tesco, if you consider '' presenting'' as a trade then of course they move from one job to another

Seems perfectly natural to me. Whether we think it or not QVC is seen as the No1. So they are gaining promotion within their profession.

I can't understand what the poster is making such an issue of. The people who work on shopping channels are only sales assistants or glorified shop assistants surely anyone can move from job to job as they wish. I don't understand why you think QVC should not employ people who have worked on other channels as they are all doing the same thing eg. selling.

Why should this surprise you? The presenters would have to build up experience from somewhere similar! It would surprise me more if they hadn't worked on other channels!

A lot of them are failed actors/fomer djs, gameshow dolly birds & chorus line hoofers. They should be able to adjust their style to the demands of the channel. I don't see being on one channel should bar you from moving to another.

Doesn't really surprise me that many of them have worked for other shopping channels , the one that really gets my back up is Craig Rowe, hes been on other channels and still won the search for a new presenter competition, i cant see how that was fair when he had already worked on other channels before, i thought the whole idea of that competition was to give a someone new a chance to become a presenter.

I thought it was thouroughly unfair for Craig to win that competition actually. I guess Im old fashioned and I belive in a bit of loyalty to your employer/company. That Chloe everton has certainly been around but then again Debbie Flint has done so much channel hopping and so much shopping tv in general, she now has an unfortunate repetitive pointy finger syndrome.

Doesn't really surprise me that many of them have worked for other shopping channels , the one that really gets my back up is Craig Rowe, hes been on other channels and still won the search for a new presenter competition, i cant see how that was fair when he had already worked on other channels before, i thought the whole idea of that competition was to give a someone new a chance to become a presenter.

I thought exactly the same as you at the time - he was already a professional presenter when he entered the competition so, if the rules were adhered to, he shouldn't have been allowed to take part. Sam Simmons who represented Emu boots on QVC, and now is a regular on Argos TV, was also in the competition. I think the Q were playing it safe whilst, simultaneously, cultivating the image of a huge corporation giving 'the ordinary joe' a chance to get a job on tv, by having Craig 'chosen' as the winner. He certainly wasn't my choice although, admittedly, he comes across as being extremely comfortable in front of the cameras.

It's like the "Joseph" "Maria" "Nancy" "Jesus" talent shows. The winner has always been someone who was already in show biz, even though it was rarely, if ever, mentioned.

Yes, thats happening right now, Chloe pretending to be a novice at selling on tv, yeah right! Craig winning that show was pretty disgusting. I never saw it but if he was a pro, then seems unfair on the rest of the contestants.

Its no different than any other job. Employers look for experience and where else are you going to get live tv selling experience other than other shopping channels??

I can't understand what the poster is making such an issue of. The people who work on shopping channels are only sales assistants or glorified shop assistants surely anyone can move from job to job as they wish. I don't understand why you think QVC should not employ people who have worked on other channels as they are all doing the same thing eg. selling.

I think Tristar is pointing out that some of the other shopping channels have shall we say a "less than favourable reputation". Of course people can & should end up where the best career opportunities arise but to go from a channel that has questionable selling tactics shall we say, many of which have resulted in complaints being upheld by the ASA to appear on the supposedly "lilly white" QVC is quite amusing.

Nikki thats kind of what Im saying. Chloe is on now and saying things like 'oh this is a storm flap, yes, Im learning as I go along' I mean if she has presented other shopping channels then this 'act' as a complete newbie/novice is frankly, wearing a bit thin.

Nikki thats kind of what Im saying. Chloe is on now and saying things like 'oh this is a storm flap, yes, Im learning as I go along' I mean if she has presented other shopping channels then this 'act' as a complete newbie/novice is frankly, wearing a bit thin.

& I don't think she was quite that shy having read the other thread about her internet posts whilst working for Sky News lol! Apparently, according to some they were a tad risqe :nod::blush:

I think Tristar is pointing out that some of the other shopping channels have shall we say a "less than favourable reputation". Of course people can & should end up where the best career opportunities arise but to go from a channel that has questionable selling tactics shall we say, many of which have resulted in complaints being upheld by the ASA to appear on the supposedly "lilly white" QVC is quite amusing.

If a company, or someone employed by that company, received criticism, or intervention for breaking rules, why should that reflect on every individual ever employed by that company? Because one channel has acquired a less than solid reputation shouldn't affect someone wanting to work somewhere else, unless that person has been involved in the complaint, surely? QVC are employing people with shopping television (and other) television experience. Many of the presenters employed at QVC have also worked in other broadcasting jobs and not just on other shopping channels. They have experience in presenting, that should be all that matters. And they should be able to adapt their style of presenting from one job to another, whether it be an auction channel, a sports news network, a local radio station or QVC.

Nikki I feel the same. She keeps up with the naive new girl act though. Guess qvc don want people with high morals, provided they can sell sell sell, they dont care if they have been selling their soul on bid or engaging in well, frankly she needs to drop the act.

Nikki I feel the same. She keeps up with the naive new girl act though. Guess qvc don want people with high morals, provided they can sell sell sell, they dont care if they have been selling their soul on bid or engaging in well, frankly she needs to drop the act.

Hmmm naive is certainly not how I'd describe the public posts she put up whilst working for Sky Sports lol! I agree with the act bit. Q can employ whomever they like, silly to say otherwise, but it does make me giggle! I wonder if she put some of her public posts on her CV? My view is we can have our say by where we buy from & what we choose to watch. Fair play to the woman but the sweet little shy newbie routine isn't going to wash with me & I find it all a bit patronising hence I hardly watch Q now. There's a few people, presenters & guests who I respect & like to see the range their selling on Q but a few insult my intelligence, hence I can't watch them. (Well only for a min or 2 to see what people are referring to on here haha) x.

Tristar are we watching the same chloe? I see a competent confident girl who has just started in a new place of work and is doing a damm good job. She is probably still finding her feet as anyone does when they have new surrounding, systems and colleagues. I don't think she's putting on an act at all.

Tristar are we watching the same chloe? I see a competent confident girl who has just started in a new place of work and is doing a damm good job. She is probably still finding her feet as anyone does when they have new surrounding, systems and colleagues. I don't think she's putting on an act at all.

I only saw the start to be honest & saw her gushing all over Glen, how expert he is, blah blah so I switched over. Oh just seen the end bit, she's talking about what a learning curve she's been on in Glen's presence, talking about what looks like annoraks, glad I missed it. :wink: Mally trailer now, that's more like it!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back