Ruth Langsford Fashion TSV 13/01/24

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I think most of us have reached the age where we know what suits us (and are willing to believe what we see in mirrors or photographs to make adjustments). Picking carefully, I think there are nice things in most brands' ranges... but doing a whole look from one range/brand is probably doomed.
Ruth's range is overpriced for what it is, but does at least have fewer garish patterns and more natural fabrics than some of the others. It's not the worst of Q's ranges, but certainly is nothing special.

Because I love my dungarees (Lagenlook, and soo comfy, fit size 10-26,), I dipped in and saw a "new" pink top - pricey, bit I wanted a 3/4 sleeve and round neck, to wear under said dungarees. It arrived but the sequin flash patch on the front was as scratchy as hell on the reverse. So much for all the spiel about being soft to the skin, back it went.
Her range isn't for me, it's far too mumsy for me - doesn't really chime well with my Helena Bonham-Carter hairstyle. (I'm 75).

Hear hear!! me neither her clothing is plain awful and frumpy she does not do herself any favours when wearing. As someone else said I wouldn't have them given for free.
I've never owned a tee shirt that has lasted very long. They always go baggy around the neck eventually. Perhaps the sik tees worn by Simon Cowell, for e.g. last longer, but he probably has them dry cleaned. I believe that Modal is a type of Rayon, made from tree bark and it wears better than 100% cotton. Bamboo fabric also wears well, but it's dull looking and heavy if it's not mixed with another component. I'd like to compare some of Ruth's tee shirts before and after washing a few times. I would make an educated guess that they'll start going home after 6 washes.

Because I love my dungarees (Lagenlook, and soo comfy, fit size 10-26,), I dipped in and saw a "new" pink top - pricey, bit I wanted a 3/4 sleeve and round neck, to wear under said dungarees. It arrived but the sequin flash patch on the front was as scratchy as hell on the reverse. So much for all the spiel about being soft to the skin, back it went.
Her range isn't for me, it's far too mumsy for me - doesn't really chime well with my Helena Bonham-Carter hairstyle. (I'm 75).
I'm totally out of the loop, although I recognise the name of the actress, but I can't imagine her hairstyle. Can I guess that it's a mid length straight style parted on the side?

The new Joe Browns catalogue has arrived and I've just window shopped £850 (not really spent of course). So far removed from Ruth's boring stuff.

CC

The new Joe Browns catalogue has arrived and I've just window shopped £850 (not really spent of course). So far removed from Ruth's boring stuff.

CC
The thing about Joe Browns is that it sells the quirky/rock chick/boho look in the true sense of the word. Given, it's not for everyone but if you see something you fancy and you think it's a look you'll carry off, then give it a go, and who knows? With Ruth's stuff it's easy to see from the off that a frumpy jumper with a hell's angel logo on the back or on the sleeve is gonna look ****** ridiculous, as is an A line skirt made from pleather complete with stretchy side panels, not to mention a bomber jacket that matches your nan's cushion covers with a hi viz stripe running down the length of each sleeve.

The thing about Joe Browns is that it sells the quirky/rock chick/boho look in the true sense of the word. Given, it's not for everyone but if you see something you fancy and you think it's a look you'll carry off, then give it a go, and who knows? With Ruth's stuff it's easy to see from the off that a frumpy jumper with a hell's angel logo on the back or on the sleeve is gonna look ****** ridiculous, as is an A line skirt made from pleather complete with stretchy side panels, not to mention a bomber jacket that matches your nan's cushion covers with a hi viz stripe running down the length of each sleeve.
You're so right, Merry.

Such a good description of her clothes.

I'd wear Joe Brown in a heartbeat but they never have pockets!

I know we're all different (thank God), but going to a funeral today, I was struck by how all the elderly ladies in the congregation all looked the same ! 90% wore a quilted coat with hood, 10% wore various colours - i wore a grey faux fur coat. 80% sported a grey bob, 15% had short grey hair and the rest were adventurous! 99% wore boring specs and 99.5% wore uninspiring unflattering old lady footwear. Hell a lot were younger than me ! Why has this generation who danced around their handbags to the Beatles and Georgie Fame, given up the ghost and lost all sense of style ?

I think the practicality of living with our ageing bodies has a lot to do with it (I am that boring person on occasion). Quilted coats are warm (why spend a dwindling pension on a new one?), a short bob is ideal for thinning grey hair, specs that are comfortable and give a good field of vision are what helps us view the world around us more easily, and with increasingly dodgy balance, I choose comfortable over fashionable footwear every time now. Yes, we zhuzh ourselves up now and again or with the odd accessory or garment but comfort and practicality are essential.

I understand Mina, and can't argue with you - my ageing body took a bashing last year resulting in a 4 stone weight loss and rampant hair loss (not cancer), but instead of cutting off the wispy long hair I shove it up to hold a funky hairpiece. Comfy footwear are Emus in the winter, and I love dungarees and kimonos! My style is not for everyone, all I'm saying is whereas a lot of all the younger girls can be clones of each other - long hair extensions, false nails and eyelashes as they've seen on social media, at the other end of the age spectrum older ladies can also be clones too.

I think the practicality of living with our ageing bodies has a lot to do with it (I am that boring person on occasion). Quilted coats are warm (why spend a dwindling pension on a new one?), a short bob is ideal for thinning grey hair, specs that are comfortable and give a good field of vision are what helps us view the world around us more easily, and with increasingly dodgy balance, I choose comfortable over fashionable footwear every time now. Yes, we zhuzh ourselves up now and again or with the odd accessory or garment but comfort and practicality are essential.
Lots of good points

Latest posts

Back