It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas......

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The first house I bought didn't have CH so I used to do that too Frazzled. I'd put the oven on gas mark 1/4 or 1/2 and leave it's door and all the internal house doors open it kept it lovely and warm and didn't cost a fortune

I remember years ago when i was young,,,,,,,,,, i lived in a four bedroomed house, newly built and i had the room under the
way up to the back door, and it was absolutely freezing. There was no central heating in them days, just a fire in the living room,
and i can still remember how cold that room was. None of the children nowadays would be abllowed to live in it, but we all
survived, and got used to it. Them were the days ....... not

I know it's not ideal, but before the days of central heating if there was no power, I use leave the oven on low with the door open, it helped keep the chill off.

I used to do that as well. I am still in the same house from being first married. It was newly built but didn't have central heating, just a gas fire in the lounge and hubby arranged for a gas heater on the upstairs landing, fixed to the external wall. If the gas fire was on, it was lovely and warm in the lounge but cold upstairs. If I left the bedroom doors open and put the gas heater on, on the landing, it was lovely and warm throughout - but DH complained about the gas bills, so I couldn't do that too often. The kitchen was always chilly, unless I was cooking - or left the oven on and door open, to take the chill off the room.

It was about 7 -8 years later that we went 'upmarket' and had CH put in.

My Mum used to put the oven on in the kitchen too. I was very lucky when we got married my hubby put central heating into the house we bought before we moved in. Not many people had it in those days. That was 1968/69.

Sorry to interrupt but I am so upset. :sad: I just watched the news and it reported that thousands of livestock have perished in this freezing weather. It showed footage of two farmers pulling out a ram that had died in a snowdrift, the poor thing had literally frozen to death. How many more wildlife have also died?? :sad:

It's heartbreaking PPC. I saw it on the news earlier today. A lot of animals have a hard life anyway, without having to contend with the atrocious bad weather we have had / are having at the moment. Poor little mites.

It is truly awful. But what made me cry yesterday was that little girl who died because a gust of wind blew her pushchair away as her mummy was locking the door. Life stinks sometimes. I wonder how I can leave the house with my children every time I read the Daily fecking Mail that makes me misreable every time I read the mail online and seems to thrive on reporting terrible tales like this. My heart goes out to her poor parents.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

It is truly awful. But what made me cry yesterday was that little girl who died because a gust of wind blew her pushchair away as her mummy was locking the door. Life stinks sometimes. I wonder how I can leave the house with my children every time I read the Daily fecking Mail that makes me misreable every time I read the mail online and seems to thrive on reporting terrible tales like this. My heart goes out to her poor parents.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

heartbreaking, terrible news. To lose a child due to freak weather events. Poor little girl, I can't imagine what agonies her mum and family are having, dreadful, dreadful thing to happen.

OMG I'm just going to whisper this because I know how easily frightened it is and I don't want to scare it away but I've just seen a very rare visitor, the sun's shinning here !!! :mysmilie_378:

Sorry for those of you that are suffering with the snow still

funny day here - snow first thing, quite big flakes - then it eased up and the sun came out - and it's been like that ever since!

My wellies have been like the sun , in out, in out lol :giggle:

hope you're shaking them all about Nora!

I rang Dad for a weather check, and set off - half an hour's drive and it's always worse weather there than it is here, but made it there & back - not as cold as yesterday. Well we had no heating yesterday so it was REALLY cold here!

Hope your sis in Kirkby is ok DD and not snowed in! Dad has five or six inches of snow on his front lawn!

I rang Dad for a weather check, and set off - half an hour's drive and it's always worse weather there than it is here, but made it there & back - not as cold as yesterday. Well we had no heating yesterday so it was REALLY cold here!

Hope your sis in Kirkby is ok DD and not snowed in! Dad has five or six inches of snow on his front lawn!

Hope your heating is back on BM, I went cold just reading that you hadn't got any!

It's my niece who lives in Kirby, my sister's in Colwick, they seem to be OK thanks

image.jpg

Im feeling like Sherpa Tenzing just ventured out to the recycle bin

Latest posts

Back